Bubble anenome turns in brown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minhnguyen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Johnny,
I need your help!

I have 29g reef tank with, 25lbs live rook, 20lbs live sand, and 110W PC light set-up for about 4 months now. All corals in my tank look very healthy and start growing. However, the white bubble anenome and clear branch coral are turn in to brown just one week after put in my tank (they open bigger than when they were at LFS.)

Please let be know if something wrong in my tanks or something that I need to do to bring them back to their natural color.

Thanks,
Minh

It sounds to me like you bought a couple of bleached specimens and they are regaining their zooxanthellae (symbiotic algae, which is a brown color). It is quite common for corals and anemones that display very bright colors to fade to a tan/brown color in the aquarium, due to a lack of intensity. I think you are experiencing the opposite effect, the corals that had no real color are gaining some. I'd say it is a good thing, rather than bad that your anemone and coral are looking like this.

Back
Top Bottom