Calcium test showed low readings.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
My calcium was 340 (I use API) But test was done with my buddy's Salifin kits. He came over to test and show me how to use them as I will be getting some kits as a birthday present so I can better test my BC29.

I dose every other day B-ionic 2 part.

Everything else I believe was ok.

Ammonia 0

NitrAte 0

Nitrites 0

Alk 11dkh

Salinity 1.026

pH 8.3

Phosphates 0

Mag 1280

I didn't do the test my buddy did using Salifin test kits.

He says everything looks good and corals look really healthy. He said the cal is probably a little low due to coral growth. I feel bad even asking. I feel like I'm second guessing him. He's had a SW tank for 12 years now and sells frags and his tank is just insane.

Anyway what are your thoughts?

Thanks.

image-2113577250.jpg

It's low, what salt mix do you use and how does that test? I know you do weekly water changes....when is your next water change?

reefrunner69 said:
It's low, what salt mix do you use and how does that test? I know you do weekly water changes....when is your next water change?

My buddy mixes the water for me and I grab it from him every Friday. He uses Instant Ocean reef crystals. Maybe start dosing 2 part everyday?

I don't have a RO/DI unit and he owns a mom and pop fish store literally 5 minutes from me so he does me that favor.

Could it be from all the coral growth?

Is my tank in danger?

Convict2161 said:
My buddy mixes the water for me and I grab it from him every Friday. He uses Instant Ocean reef crystals. Maybe start dosing 2 part everyday?

I don't have a RO/DI unit and he owns a mom and pop fish store literally 5 minutes from me so he does me that favor.

Could it be from all the coral growth?

Is my tank in danger?

Yes, it could be from growth, or it could be starting low, I don't know what reef crystals mixes at, that is the first thing you need to know. Do not add anything you do not test for, once you have a calcium test of your own, you can add the two part daily until you get your levels up a tad. Your tank is not in danger, 400-450 is the goal, so your not far off the mark.

Ok thanks! I'll pick one up tomorrow. He showed me how to use the kits. I was intimated by them but I think I'll be ok.

I'll test the water before adding it then see what happens. I won't add anything until I get a base line result.

Back
Top Bottom