Can someone Please help me w/ Lighting?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

obscurereef

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have ecoxotic 2 panorama LED modules 8000K White / 453nm Actinic Blue. Will this be enough to grow some zoas, mushrooms, and macroalgae? If it can't does anyone know if it will grow FW plants? Would really appreciate any feedback or if you have them, what do you grow? :dance:

It probably will grow some zoas, but they may lose some of there color patterns. Plants Normaly do Better in the 5-6.7k ratio.

So is it reasonable to put some 6500K T5 bulbs over the tank and have the LEDs as accent lighting? I was thinking either a 2 bulb or 4 bulb odyssea fixture, might need the 4 bulb as one of the macros I want needs 5 watts/gallon.

I would recommend at least 10,000K for your lights for a reef tank. This is based on research and not per experience yet. My lights now are leds rated at 10,000K with mixture of blue actinics and a couple of T8's with 18,000K ratings. I have Long Tentacles Anemone, a Condy and Bubbletip Anemone and a Flowerpot Coral and they're all happy. As per what I've read, lights less than 10,000K are good for Fresh water tanks.

I know that 6500K isn't ideal for corals, but for macroalgaes, I think it would grow them best as they are marine plants. I have a reef tank with lighting specifically for corals so I know about that, but I was more questioning whether the light used for growing macros can be used for low light corals and vise versa for a different aquarium w/ a different environment. Thanks for the input!

obscurereef said:
I know that 6500K isn't ideal for corals, but for macroalgaes, I think it would grow them best as they are marine plants. I have a reef tank with lighting specifically for corals so I know about that, but I was more questioning whether the light used for growing macros can be used for low light corals and vise versa for a different aquarium w/ a different environment. Thanks for the input!

My fuge light is a Walmart clip on lamp and a Walmart 2$ 6700k bulb. I am throwing cheato macro algae away weekly do to over growth. This is my fug when I set it up, it is now full.

Attachments

• image-3137501775.jpg
    image-3137501775.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 97
Awesome refugium. Looks way cleaner than mine, but that's why it's hidden under the stand :lol:! Your chaeto looks really small...I've had mine in there for about a month now and haven't trimmed it..:L didn't know when, but I guess I'll take away half? Also it's lightening in color (turning light greenish yellow) so I think it needs more flow, but not sure. Anyway, my lighting question wasn't for a refugium, but hopefully a future 30 gallon tank w/ mostly macros and some corals. Thinking of making it either an angler tank, OR a seahorse tank...(what a nasty combo that would be :lol:) pretty ambitious I know, but I would be willing to take on a challenge!

Yeah, that was when I started with macros. It is now trashed and crammed full of cheato. I know you mentioned it was for the tank. Just make a point that the algae will grow under 6700k. :)

Cool thanks, but just to clarify, macros won't do well under 8000K lighting and corals won't to well under 6500K lighting...looks like I'll have to do a mix to make everyone happy...

Well I think macros would still grow, just a little slower under 8k and 6.7k will not grow corals. I also think you will have trouble with corals under a 8k. I have grown macro under my 10k no problem, just took a little longer. 10k is the way to go.

obscurereef said:
I have ecoxotic 2 panorama LED modules 8000K White / 453nm Actinic Blue. Will this be enough to grow some zoas, mushrooms, and macroalgae? If it can't does anyone know if it will grow FW plants? Would really appreciate any feedback or if you have them, what do you grow? :dance:

Sorry if I misread your question.

Back
Top Bottom