Catching Troublesome Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roka64

Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to the site!
You may want to post your questions in the Nano section or the SW Getting started.
Welcome to the addiction!

Can anyone tell me of a safe method of removing a "troublesome fish" from my tank? I don't want to dismantle tme LR or corals. Any advice would be appreciated.

The method I use (which does not always work) is to starve the tank for a few days. Then place a net into the tank with some food in it. DO NOT MOVE the net. Wait until the fish you want swims into the net to get food and then yank the net up. This process could take up to 4 or more hours though. Thats how I caught my 6 line wrasse.

I have a fish coral that I bought for that purpose. It has 10' of fish line attached so I can sit back and wait for the right fish to enter before swinging the door closed.

The method I use (which does not always work) is to starve the tank for a few days. Then place a net into the tank with some food in it. DO NOT MOVE the net. Wait until the fish you want swims into the net to get food and then yank the net up. This process could take up to 4 or more hours though. Thats how I caught my 6 line wrasse.

I use a variation of this method. Leave the net in the top of the tank. While feeding play at catching the fish but don't really try. More like the net is another fish. After 3 or 4 feedings when the fish least expects it, nab it. If you miss start over.
:grab:

Thank all of you that posted a reply to my question. I'll give them all a try. The reason for my original message was, I bought a copperband butterfly to ride my tank of some glass amenomes. I have a yellow tank that attacks the copperband. I think if I can remove the tang the copperband will start to move around the tank and start eating.

Supposedly it`s easier to get the fish out at night time while they are asleep. I used to have a good link but I lost it when the computer crashed.

Back
Top Bottom