changing tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleveland Clowns

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is the best way to take all my fish,LR, and sand into a new bigger tank. Everything is established and water test are good. I have a 20g w/10g fuge. I want to upgrade to a 36g. What are the steps needed. thanks

I have in just put all the stuff in a new tank and been done with it. I do start with new sand though, that I don't reuse. other than that just fill the new tank up with saltwater almost all the way and then add the rock from your 20g to it. You should see little to none spikes in parameters. :) I've done this a few times.

I haven't switched tanks before but I did redo my substrate recently so I can tell you what I did.
First I took some tank water out and put it into a container large enough to hold the fish then added the fish. If your gonna take a long time on this process I would add a pump to circulate the water. Fill another container with water to put your live rock in during the transfer as well. Next scoop out the gravel/sand into a container and transfer it too your other aquarium. Hope this helps a little.

Thanks. I was going to get some new live sand and mix up some new water fill it halfway and finish it off with the sand,water,rock and fish from my 20g. Just wanted to make sure it was safe for my fish to be done in one day. This hobby is addictive:)

Back
Top Bottom