chocolate chip starfish have bits of them missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tigger

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi.. I have 2 chocolate chip star fish. We also have a hermit crab that has major issues. We think he killed the horseshoe crab. Now.... the chocolate chip starfish have chunks of their "chips" missing. I think the culprit is the hermit crab.

Do you think that the hermit crab did this? Will the hermit crab stop attacking them? Should I remove the hermit crab & take him back to the pet store?

55 gal saltwater tank.

Thanks,

Natalie

The missing parts may not be missing at all. The spots that appear to be missing may just be white spots. Any suggestions?

What kind of Hermit is it? Blue leg or Scarlets wouldn't be doing this...

I'm not sure what kind of hermit crab he is..... he looks like a strawberry (red with seed looking things on him).

Would an emerald crab or a porcelain crab be ok to add to my aquarium (if the chemical levels are ok)?

3 percula clownfish
1 yellow tang
1 butterfly
1 hermit crab
2 chocolate chip starfish
1 royal gramma

We caught the hermit crab attacking the starfish this morning....so he is going back to the LFS. :(

What would you suggest we add to our 55 gal tank? (something to clean up the mess on the bottom?)

Thanks!

The choc star itself will/should take care of some detritus but a good combination of cerith and nassarius snails would help.

Cheers
Steve

What type of crabs would work in our aquarium without harming the other inhabitants?

Thanks again,

Natalie

There is no guarantee when it comes to crabs of any species. They are strict opportunists but some are better than others. Personally I have always found lefthaded hermits Calcinus laevimanus to be a great addition. Coral/invert safe and the least likely to prey on snails provided there are extra empty shells about for new "homes".

With the right mix of snails however, crabs of anykind are not really neccessary.

Cheers
Steve

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like it could be acclimation shock unless you have suspect fish and inverts as well as other stars.

If not acclimated slowly enough, stars can show signs of "necrosis" as quickly as the next day or even several months later.

How long have you had the star?
How was it acclimated
this sounds like the same thing that happend to me and steve was right for my stars. hope it is not. :(

We bought the hermit crab Sept 4 and the starfish Sept 7. We returned the hermit crab to the LFS last week. What does a starfish look like if it is in "trouble"?

Starfish on the downfalll will not be pretty. The flesh will start necrosing quite fast, usually beginning at the tip of the feet or dead center. Depending on how severe, it could end up a gooey white mess in less than a day or two.

One thing to note though, that considering the star is still relatively new, I would not rule out acclimation shock. Could simpley be the hermits where attracted to the decay and "cleaning up" so to speak. They would have definately made matters worse in any case. :?

Cheers
Steve

Can I stop the downward spiral? The "red" chocolate chip starfish looks the worst. The star has white spots on a few of its "chips" and one at the end of the feet.

I had hoped that the white spots were due to the hermit crab and since we removed it, everything would be ok.

When we added the starfish, I followed Petco's instructions. Put the bag at the top of the tank for 20-30 minutes then added them to the tank. I bought two snails per Steve's advice and added them today.
:cry:

The condition of the star does not sound dismal but it's recovery will greatly depend on water quality and it's own ability to regenerate. About the only thing you can do is provide some small pieces of meaty foods enriched with a good marine vitamin like Selcon or Zoe once ot twice a week. The rest is really up to the star.

As far as the acclimation goes, that may be somewhat satisfactory for a fish but not an invert as sensitive as a starfish. In future I would recommend drip acclimation. This will allow for a much slower process and gradually changes the salinity and ph of the bagged water to match the tank water. The process will normally take several hours and should be done for all sensitive invert acclimation.

>>Here<< is what the process entales.

What snails did you get?

Cheers
Steve

We feed our other fish & the stars brine shrimp (spirulina enriched) and Formula Two. Would this food be ok for what you had previously suggested?

The star is curling his feet upward and none of his "feelers" are out. We do not have any LFS that sells cerith or nassarius snails (I have checked several times) and I am apprehensive about buying online. I can't remember what kind they are.... but they are orange in color and are already attached to the glass.

Thanks again!

Natalie

tigger said:
We feed our other fish & the stars brine shrimp (spirulina enriched) and Formula Two. Would this food be ok for what you had previously suggested?
Sounds fine but I would also suggest adding the vitamin suggested above about once a week irregardless of the foods you feed. All the animals and some corals will benefit from it.

The star is curling his feet upward and none of his "feelers" are out.
This is actually normal behavour for this star, nothing to worry about. If I'm not mistaken it's trying to feed from the water column.

We do not have any LFS that sells cerith or nassarius snails (I have checked several times) and I am apprehensive about buying online. I can't remember what kind they are.... but they are orange in color and are already attached to the glass
Orange would suggest moon snails and not the best to have in a reef set up. They are primarily carnivors with a taste for bi valves.

Have a look >>here<< and see if your LFS has anything the same and post back.

Cheers
Steve

You are correct, the snails are Red Foot Moon Snails. Should I take them back? When you say "bi valves", are you referring to star fish? We don't have any else in the tank except for fish.

Bi valves are mollusks. It means having two shells like clams, mussels and oysters. Snails and most other gastropods would be considered uni valves.

The moon snail does not pose a threat to your stars or fish. Did you see any other snails on that site your LFS has in stock?

Cheers
Steve

One LFS had some turbo snails, but that's it (except for the other ones I bought).

Thanks,

Natalie

Back
Top Bottom