Clean up Crew Philosophy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanderson417

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read various thoughts/opinions on clean up crews. Some have stated that a clean up crew is mandatory for a reef tank to control algae,etc and I have also read that clean crews aren't needed if you feed,clean, and use your skimmer all appropriately. The latter states clean up crews just add unnecessarily to your bioload I would appreciate the thoughts of you experienced reefers. Is a clean up crew strongly recommended and how large based on take size/volume. Reef2go recommends a huge crew IMHO.

Thanks,

Steve

My clean up crew consists of 1 turbo snail and 2 hermits. Honestly, i dont care about a CUC. When my crew was decent sized they didnt clean much at all and they were just fun to watch. I dont like them because the hermits killed eachother and the snails. It was a waste of money IMO

I have 2 narsassis to stir sand , 3 turbo's and a few hermits, a cleaner shrimp and a arrow crab in a 55g tank. They seem to be doing a great job... IMO 1CuC /liter is a bit much , really if your are not getting excessive levels then your fine. I think it's a good idea to have some CuC since they will clean up any left over food

I like having a clean up crew for diversity. I initially had six turbossix astern snails and about 8 hermits I think. I still have all the hermits but all but two of each snail were eaten by the crabs. All those murders happened within a month but since everything has been steady. I think a good mix makes the tank more interesting.

I also have had a sandsifting star a long time too.

I think that attitudes in part have to do with the system you are running. If you're running a bare-bottom or shallow sandbed system, a clean-up crew is most likely option. If you're running a deep sandbed a clean-up crew is a very good idea.

Back
Top Bottom