Clown Behavior - Biting Tail, is this normal.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
My female Clown (think its female because she is larger) was bighting my smaller clown on his tail. Is this normal, they both seem fine, but when i came home today she was locked onto him for a couple seconds. Is this a dominance or mating behavior?

TIA

- Jeff

What kind of clowns are they maroon or percs?? How long have you had them in the tank and what size tank? Maroons are far more aggressive towards each other and other fish. In a smaller tank they may squabble at first but they usually end up working things out if you havent had them very long. I had 2 maroons and they used to fight all the time. Then one day they just started getting along great. HTH

Ive had them together for around 3 weeks now, first two fish i added. They are percs, and always seemed to get along. My tank is a 50Gallon, and i have 2 percs, 3 chromis, and a yellow watchman. Everything seems normal, just thought it was weird.

Im sure its alright they may just be getting sick of looking at the same piece of tail everyday.... :lol: and get a little fiesty not to worry im sure they will be fine. GL

Clowns are related to Damsels and can be somewhat aggressive too (depending on the type of clown). I wouldn't worry it is probably just a domestic squabble...

My, what looks to be the female sometimes nips my other clowns tail. The tail is usually back all in one piece the next day. Just make sure that your clown isn't doing a great deal of damage to the other.

Back
Top Bottom