Clowns attacking watchman goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe the watchman is dead : (
Haven't seen him for 2 days. Did my weekly water change today and still no sign of him. This is the second fish in a row now and it's pretty depressing. Don't even know if I wanna try adding anything else at this point. I may just wait until I get a larger tank.....

It is sad when a fish dies, that is the worst feeling knowing that it happened in a tank you own. I tend to get very upset with myself going over every detail and try to figure out why and what happened. I know sometimes things happen that are out of my control and that is why I try to research as much as possible before getting a fish.

Enjoy the clown fish. they can be so much fun just by themselves.

Don't be too hard on yourself! It inevitable that fish will die some day. For all you know it could have been poorly treated during transport or it could be a lot older than you think. All you can do is try to keep your parameters at the right levels and yor doing a good job.

Sorry for your loss.

If you do decide to try one more fish, I would try taking the Clowns out and rearranging the rockwork. Then you would add your new fish, and let him get accustomed to his new tank. After this you can add the Clowns again.

I am not sure if this will work, but it is just an idea. :)

Ewatson249 said:
Don't be too hard on yourself! It inevitable that fish will die some day. For all you know it could have been poorly treated during transport or it could be a lot older than you think. All you can do is try to keep your parameters at the right levels and yor doing a good job.

This is true. Thanks!

redsea said:
Sorry for your loss.

If you do decide to try one more fish, I would try taking the Clowns out and rearranging the rockwork. Then you would add your new fish, and let him get accustomed to his new tank. After this you can add the Clowns again.

I am not sure if this will work, but it is just an idea. :)

If I try moving the clown out I won't be rearranging the rockwork as I finally have everything situated right concerning water flow, accessibility, coral placement according to lighting needs, and water flow, and had to position the corals away from the anemone after it stayed it's desired location. If I move the rockwork I take a risk of the nem moving and either stinging corals or getting caught in the powerhead or move behind some rock where it's invisible and hard to feed. Good advice though! Just won't work for me. I've been thinking of starting a new nano and may just do it now then transfer the clowns into that tank for a while and move them back in a few weeks after I've added the fish I want. I just need them to establish a new territory and I don't think they will be as aggressive once I transfer them back. Again, it may be that their highly aggressive behavior is due to them hosting an anemone. Being aggressive towards other clowns is understandable, but killing a bottom dwelling goby is a bit more surprising to me although my thoughts don't come from very much experience.
I did however ask the LFS if it would be an issue adding the watchman and clown goby before I bought them and he replied "more than likely not" and this guy doesn't lie to me just so I'll buy the fish. He has always been honest and very knowledgeable. He's even taken fish and inverts back and gave me credit when things didn't work out in the past but that's all besides the point. Sorry for rambling, it's all this shoulda-coulda-woulda stuff running through my head. When a fish dies in your tank there comes a feeling that you have to replace it to fill the void and take your focus off of what happened and focus then on what you can do now, you know? Lol I'm so bad at rambling!
Thanks for caring everyone!

Back
Top Bottom