Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Coral wonít open

I bought this coral about 2 weeks ago as my first coral and everything has been doing fine. I did my first water change with it in the tank today and for some odd reason half of it wonít open... I tested everything that I have test kits for and it all seems normal and nothing has changed, PH was at 7.8 but added some stuff in and now itís at 8.1. Nitrites 0 Ammonia 0 Nitrates 0 Calcium400 Phosphates .25 Salinity 1.025. Any ideas??? I did the water change at around 12, left the house and came home to it still kinda closed. Iím leaving for vacation tmro morning at 5:30 am so any comments will help!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	309930

Old 08-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Coral wonít open

That second picture is not mine not sure how it got in this thread...
[mod edit] Removed link to second image

Old 08-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How old is the tank. Why is the ph so low? Salt water is pretty sturdy in this regard? Tell us lots of stuff and things
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
How old is the tank. Why is the ph so low? Salt water is pretty sturdy in this regard? Tell us lots of stuff and things

I set it up back in December. I think it was so low bc I hadnít done a water change in a few weeks. Itís generally pretty stable nitrates wise so as long as it doesnít rise I donít rlly do a water change. At the moment there is just a clownfish and turbo snail it in. The clownie is super aggressive...she ate all her friends lol so itís just her until I return her for some new fish
Old 08-03-2018, 12:43 AM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Iíd assume itíll be open tomorrow when the lights come on. It could have been anything, to include temp change, that had them close up. Zoas and palys will close up like this when irritated but will open up when the irritant is removed, like a crab eating algae away from their base.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
Iíd assume itíll be open tomorrow when the lights come on. It could have been anything, to include temp change, that had them close up. Zoas and palys will close up like this when irritated but will open up when the irritant is removed, like a crab eating algae away from their base.

Ok i hope so, thx for the help ooo have my pet sitter update me since Iím leaving soon.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Iíve had zoas that only parts of the colony would open on. 2 weeks isnít bad. If they donít open soon just move them somewhere with low light and less water flow when they open try moving where you want them. I had a colony of brown button polyps that didnít open for over a month and suddenly they all opened and weíre fine. Youíll be able to tell if something is seriously wrong. They will stretch, turn transparent or start growing algae on them

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com