Coralline is dying help plz!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kminks

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok im new at this so i dont know much about saltwater other then what iv read but no experience... ok my tank was doing good growing coralline like crazy but i had a standerd tank light and then I got a new one thats is 2 x 55 Watts, 10,000k white daylight bulb and actinic bulb but i dont see the blue bulb so its two of the white daylight bulbs going and i had no fish and i got a lion fish. and a couple of days after that i noticed my coralline was turning white and it looks like im getting some hair algae lvls are good or at least these ones ph Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate plz help or point me the right way to go ty for your time

Moving this to the SW general discussion forum. A few questions. What size tank? What are your alk, calcium and magnesium readings? How long ago were these rocks added? Are you cycling the tank now?

also, coralline algae doesn't require high lighting. the stronger light could have killed some off. it's not gone forever, and it should still be alive in the shaded areas. i have a large amount of coralline in the sump which is only lit by a curly-Q energy saver bulb.

From what u describe it's likely the change in lighting. 2 55 watt 10k are not necessarily too much light, but the sudden change from the standard lighting to the stronger PC may have caused some of the coraline to bleach. It will come back with time as it adjusts tongue brighter lights. In the meantime check ur pH, alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium levels as mentioned above.

I agree, if your KH and alkalinity is good, it is the lighting. Coraline algae doesn't require hardly any light at all, but it needs calcium and lots of it.

Back
Top Bottom