Crab Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grenseal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am currently in a Marine Bio class, and as part of this class I have to setup and maintain a 30 gal saltwater tank. I already have 2 hermit crabs, 2 snails, 1 perc clown, and 1 velvet damsel. The other day our teacher said he would like to see at least 3 types of inverts in the tank once he grades them. I was at my LFS looking at crabs and shrimp. They had these little crabs called "red crabs". The are cheaper then the shrimp so I was thinking about getting one. My question is will the crab try to eat my other fish or inverts??? Would the crab be a good idea to put in the tank??? Thanks for any help.

Red crabs, or Red-legged Hermit Crab (Paguristes digueti) are fine. Pretty common hermits found in every store because they get them so cheap.

How about an emerald green crab? Totally different looking animal than a hermit. Hermit in a shell and will steal another's. Emerald green that molts and grows his own shell. Then, a cleaner shrimp. Molts and grows also. Then, you've got 3 totally different looking inverts. 4 w/the snail = extra credit, right? 8)

Might cost you about $25 bucks though to get both of'm.

Now, for the big question. After this Bio class, are you stuck in the hobby? Is Marine Bio your major? If so, come on back to the site after the class and offer up that extreme intelligence to some of us not-so-educated fishers. :roll:

Now, with all that said, and thinking you'll visit this site again ----

Welcome to AA! :smilecolros: P.S. let us know what grade you get on your tank. :wink:

Welcome to AA!!!

I am also curious as to what happens to the tanks after the class is over. Do you tear them down and return the fish???

SOunds like a red crab, not a hermit, I had a few red crabs one time, had bright blue bellies, cool little dudes. Didn't hurt anything, good scavengers.

BTW, that has to be the COOLEST class ever. I wish I took a class that required me to do something I enjoy so much.

Hehe yeah its a great class. I took that instead of general biology. Marine bio isn't my major but i'd much rather learn about fish and oceans instead of the regular bio stuff.

There are five groups of students and each group has a tank and after the class is over the teacher offered to take the fish and inverts. He told us he has a 90 gallon saltwater he just cleaned and setup. It works out pretty good for him, he gets some of the fish/inverts we put in the tanks for free.
I'm trying to convince my parents to let me get another tank rather than giving them up. I already have 2 freshwater setups, a 70 gal and a 30 gal, so my parents don't really want me to have a third. I won't give up trying though.

Thanks for the responses and welcomes. I'm going to pick up the crab tomorrow. And yes it is a regular little crab, not a hermit.

Smart teacher! I think I'll tell some buddies to date a supermodel for a week, write a paper on them and volunteer to take them off their hands after a week. :lol:

OK, OK. I'm wide awake now.

Yes dear... I'll be right there. Gotta go!!

And don't forget to let us know what kinda grade you get. Good luck!

Are the students paying for the livestock out of their own pockets?
Seems like the teacher is going to get some free shwag when the class ends.

Back
Top Bottom