crused coral vs sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lamaseta17

Aquarium Advice Regular
right now i have crushed coral for about 7 months ut im regreting it. Is sand better and if it is how would i go by changing to sand and what new task does it bring?

The majority of people use sand and for good reason crushed coral traps waste.
Changing the substrate Should be done in sections in an established tank to prevent stress on your corals/fish. Unless you want to break down your tank removing everything and storing in a garbage can or seperate tank then remove the substrate replace with new and put everything back into your tank. This can be done same as what you would have to do if you moved your tank to a new home. Some stress may occur but ultimately I don't see a huge problem unless you have a fully stocked and perfectly arranged tank.

How large is your tank? Tell us about what's in it too. We can help you better that way.

And whatever you do, you're gonna want to have some pre-mixed, aireated SW for changes. Maybe as much as your tank holds. I'd feel better knowing I could do PWC's more if something fouled up too much.

well its a 110 gallon i have tangs and clown fish and im starting to get into coral 2
anemones

The anenomes might not like stirring up nasties as nitrates could show themselves. Like I said, as you go, keep SW premixed SW handy.

I switched my CC out 1/4 of the tank a week and had no losses.

Back
Top Bottom