Cyano outbreak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper92

Aquarium Advice Freak
Seems its my turn to ask how to get rid of my Cyano outbreak. I've cut back feeding, watch my light timing, tried scrubbing some of it off during water changes, all the things i was told so far. I have not tried and chemicals since i can't find them but am willing to try. I have a 4 bulb fixture on a 20 gallon, and my phosphates have never been higher than .25 but test out at 0 right now.

Do you feed frozen food? If so, wash it out in a net first to remove as many phosphates as possible. Do you think your tank's phosphates rise when you feed (were your phosphates .25 after feeding)?

Other than chemicals like Chemi-clean, I would suggest that you just keep going on the PWCs.

I use frozen food and dont usually wash it off, which i will now. I test my water once a week and it usually takes a week or two before phosphates start showing up, but rinsing my food may help a bit.

Cool, let us know if it helps. :) I heard that fish food brands use the phosphates to keep all of the food stuck together, and that is why they put it in there.

I can believe it, when i feed certain cubes the water i use to break it down gets cloudy which puts a bunch of extra nutrients in the tank, thats why i drain that first. Some dont seem to get cloudy but i know there is nutrients and phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom