Debating metal halids or LED's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

College fishman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i have a 90 reef now, probly upgrading to a 4ft 100-120) with LPS and possibly Some SPS in the future. And I want to upgrade my lighting in April. Now my budget is about $450 for the whole shabang. I'm not scared to buy used and not scared of Chinese fixtures.

So I'm mixed between metal halides and LEDs. Reefbreeders has some nice $179 fixtures (I was thinking 2 of their fixtures over my tank, be it the 90 or 120.

But I've seen and heard a lot about halides and am in between. I know absolutely nothing about them. What the difference is between them or shape or ballast or anything.

Some help would be great. Thanks dudes

For your kind of setup go with LEDs for sure and make sure they are the dimmable kind especially with keeping mostly lps under them since they can be pretty strong at deep levels of the tank.

At this point so are the taotronics though with tanks using them for over a year and being successful.

btw ur PM box is full so I can't replied you on PM, so I would just say it here.
The 2x Reef breeder fixture would work fine for your setting, but it would be over your 180 shipped budget. I learn from my mistake before and promised myself never spend less just hope that things would work out themselves. So if you are looking for something like those flood light for $50 each, I would rather suggest you use your existing T5 or MH and save up enough to get a proven fixture.

Back
Top Bottom