Detritvore Kit ??'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acid_burn

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm expecting a detritvore kit from Inland Aquatics on Thursday. I am going to put most of the kit in my fuge and the rest in my main for my manderin. Will the pods and mysis travel from the fuge through the ph into the main?? I was told they may not survive the journy.

Thanks,
Rich

Some will not survive the impeller but I would imagine most will be okay.

Agreed, and FWIW, the pods you are planning for the main tank, will do better for your mandarin as breeding stock in the fuge.

So just put all the pods in the fuge and let nature take its course?

Thanks,
Rich

Where did you buy the pods? I am looking to get some to help start with the sand
You should have an abundant starter stock of amphipods and copepods in your liverock. If this is a new tank, give them time to reproduce. Liverock is an excellent source for a diverse population of microfauna. Every worm, bug, pod in my tank has come from liverock or sand from established tanks.
Your description says 150lbs baserock. Is that to say there is no LR in your 75? If so, I would exchange the LR in your 30 for baserock from your 75 so it can seed your sand for free. Although copepods are microfauna, they don't live IN the sand. They live on it. For sand you want worms. 3 or 4 varieties usually. Again mine all came from the LR. Try to trade for sand out of other tanks. Much cheaper and arguably more effective than purchasing detrivore kits ($$$).

Back
Top Bottom