Dr. Tims one and only

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rob_mango

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever used this stuff I hear great things but want info on it from people who have used it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used it to cycle a 40 breeder I set up in my office, cycled the tank in less than a week. I tested for another week cause I couldn't believe it was done but the readings didn't lie. 4 months since and the tank is thriving.

I used it to cycle my 55 g. Did it in about 4 days. Now I did also have live rock and live sand it. But my reading were still high for ammonia and nitrites. On the 5 day I had 0 on both and the nitrates were very low. My next tank I will use it for sure. I was also watching that show called "tanked" they sell some that they use on the show. They never "cycle" the tanks. They put in the "ocean water in" that live cycle bacteria and then put the fish in. They drop in thousands of dollars of fish and corals. So I really trust them.

Well that's good to know.... I just didn't want to waste money on a product that don't work..... I have nothing but good things about it.... but wasn't to sure about it

Ok so i took the plunge and ordered the 8 oz bottle of it.... shipped 60 bucks..... I can't belive how much this stuff is.... it better work for that price or I will be upset....

But don't dump it in and then add fish like tanked does, you will still have a cycle and need to wait till that finishes. Test until ammonia and nitrite are gone then depending in where your nitrates are you can start slowly adding fish. I don't know what the guys on tanked do but have heard that most of it is staged for TV and there are some on this forum who have visited tanks they did a month or so after the show and everything was dead. There is one they did near me near philly and I plan to go and see what it looks like soon.

No I got the ammonia to.... so i can do fishless cycling.... not taking any chances.... I saw it on mr. Saltwater tank tv.... so i was curious about it.... I don't think he will lead anyone wrong.... but who knows....

The thing is, you can't blame dead fish on Tanked a month later. It's not like they sit there daily and help the folks. The customers chose what they feel like they can handle. They are responsible for the care and upkeep after the show. We all know a lot goes into upkeep after tank is setup. So I wouldn't blame Tanked. I watched Dr. Tim on YouTube and he says you can add fish right after as well. But remember usually tanked uses live sand, ocean water in a box and the marine instant cycle they sell. Dr Tim used all his products and says you can toss a fish in tight after as well. I did what tanked does and my yellow tail damsel lasted so long I took him back. Also think about it. These big tanks would take forever to cycle the way most do it. We have much less to lose.

I've seen almost every episode of tanked and what I've seen is reckless disregard for the animals they use. I assume it is for tv but the number and type of fish they put in tanks alone is enough to not trust what they say at face value.

Both are very good points.... I will still do a fishless cycle..... I mean you get the ammonia for free when you buy the stuff from there store.... so why not use it....

I've seen almost every episode of tanked and what I've seen is reckless disregard for the animals they use. I assume it is for tv but the number and type of fish they put in tanks alone is enough to not trust what they say at face value.

I have watched them all up to season 3. Think about this dude. They are a multimillion dollar business. They do work for the richest of people and companies. A whole lot of their business is from word of mouth. They had the company before the show. lol. Wreckless it is not. To me it's proven. These guys are doing 5-6000+ gallon tanks. To me they are easily experts. I'm sure no one here has even half the experience they have.

On a side note I have been out to Vegas and all the tanks they have built for shops and stores are gone.... The gumball tank is gone the ice bar jellyfish tank is gone.... I talked to the people that worked at the places and they said the takes were for the show only and was torn down a week later.....

So i think tanked is a lot more show then real tank building and fish keeping.... but i do like the show....

As large and as expensive as those tanks are I find it hard to believe that even half are just for a short term display.

I was pretty upset I wanted to see the tanks.... but they were gone.... so i asked.... that is what I was told.... but if you ever go to Vegas try to find them and let me know where there at cuz i would love to check them out....

You need to google the success rate Tanked has had with that technique.

http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/hub/animal-planet-tanked

It is a "reality" show, so who knows what they really do. Sure you can shorten the cycle time with some of this stuff, but adding $10,000 in saltwater fish to a tank the sand hasn't settled in yet seems like a bad message to send out.

They are good acrylic manufacturers, but I wouldn't let them touch the livestock . JIMO

Last edited:
You need to google the success rate Tanked has had with that technique.

http://melissaasmith.hubpages.com/hub/animal-planet-tanked

It is a "reality" show, so who knows what they really do. Sure you can shorten the cycle time with some of this stuff, but adding $10,000 in saltwater fish to a tank the sand hasn't settled in yet seems like a bad message to send out.

They are good acrylic manufacturers, but I wouldn't let them touch the livestock . JIMO

I couldn't agree more with what you just said....
I have done research on Dr Tim and it all seems good.... I just wanted insight from people who have used the stuff them self....

I heard that the gum ball tank for Serendipity 3, was put for sale on eBay because the chiller couldn't sustain the Vegas sun. As for the Ice Bar tank, I didn't hear about that being taken away. I agree though, they can build tanks and may be able to keep their own fish, but on these 500+ gallon tanks they don't do the livestock right. AT ALL. Most of the tanks are just for show. I mean when you think about it, the photo booth tank they did was taken down RIGHT after the festival. I don't think the owners would be able to set it up around the country with the help from Brett and Wayde. Also if you pay close attention when they are in the building area, you may spot some old tanks. I definitely think that the residential tanks, like the quarantine system and Tracy Morgan, will last longer because the owners have a sense of pride with their fish.
Rob- next time you visit Vegas, drop by their factory and get the real story.

Back
Top Bottom