Ebo-Jager Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stoffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an Ebo-Jager heater that I'm sure is the right size for my 20 gallon. It's sitting next to my filter and it's set for 81 degrees, but the water temperature is actually closer to 78....does this constitute a problem with my heater or is this normal?

You said it's sitting next to your filter so I'm assuming that it is next to the intake of the filter so that the heat gets distributed evenly thru the tank. I had a similar problem, but now my tank is too warm and I'm trying to lose some heat. Also what kind of thermometer or hydrometer do you have and is it accurate?

I would suggest that you use a good thermometer to validate the water temperature and adjust the thermometer (slowly) until you get the temperature you need. be sure that you have good water circulation so that you do not have any potential dead spots in the tank. HTH 8)

The thermometer I use is a floating one that's in the water, held onto the glass with a green suction cup. It's supposed to be very accurate, and I also have another stick on validating it's reading. I have the stick on in the corner closest to me, and the floating on the opposite side of the filter intake.

Then if both thermometers are giving you the same reading and you have good water circulation, I would slowly adjust (over a couple of hours minimum) the heater to reach the desired temperature you want. It is possible that the calibration is a little off on the Ebo. On a positive note, that heater is regarded as one of the best you can buy. 8)

On a positive note, that heater is regarded as one of the best you can buy.

thyats good to know because I have a titanium submergable one, which the only thing I don't like is that it keeps comming loose from the glass. and it is hard to get to to stick it back up. so long story short, i wanted a hangon, but was leary of glass heaters. :?

If the heater says on most of the time then its undersized for the tank. If your heater cycles on for a few min and then off again its proabably fine. The thermostats in the heaters might be off a few degrees expecially if you have the heater positioned vertically. I like to position my heaters either in a horozonal position or at an angle. Since warm water rises this keep the warm water from going over the themostat and maybe cutting the heater off early.

I love my Ebo Jagers

Back
Top Bottom