Evaporation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cloudxsoldier

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again,

I have recently upgraded my lights to a single unit 240W Led system. It puts out next to no heat and has a 3 fan heatsink on top of that. My old lights put out much more heat than these do.

My old lights where part of the stock standard hood that the tank came with and with the new leds I now have a semi-open top.

The water seems to be evaporating very quickly now as apposed to no evaporation with my old lights. Why is it evaporating so fast when these lights put out next to no heat? Is it simply becuase the top of the tank is partially open now?

Thanks in advance.

yes, having the top open will definitely cause more evaporation.
It's not so much the heat, as its just being exposed to the air.
Best of luck with your new LED's!!

+1 on the open top. Though evaporation increases with an open top, so does the health of the tank. Much better oxygenation and gas exchange.

True. Your evaporation will go much quicker with an open top. Make sure to stay on top of those top-offs, or your salinitly will start to change.

IMO, topless is a bit more work, but looks very good. Be careful about your fish jumping..that is my worst nightmare:'(

Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, but rimless tanks I think, are the most beautiful! Also the most expensive ad most work, I don't have any but almost any rimless tank I see is gorgeous

armyman16 said:
Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents, but rimless tanks I think, are the most beautiful! Also the most expensive ad most work, I don't have any but almost any rimless tank I see is gorgeous

Dude ya. Thats why those fluval spec tanks get me every time:)

Yeah, I have a 30 Gal. rimless by Deep Blue. It's shallow with lots of exposed surface area. I have to add about 3/4 gal. of RO/DI water daily. I have 1 Manderin in this tank and don't worry about him jumping. My problem was with the Orange Spotted Nassarius snails. They were constantly climbing out and ending up on the floor. They r huge but I had to put them in my 14 biocube just to contain them. With 2 of these monsters in the biocube, the substrate is constantly being turned. I did have a diatom problem before introducing these 2 critters. I loved the rimless look too. As to whether its healthier is debatable.

Haha yeah, they just look perfect,
Man, I just bought my green mandarin today and as soon as the guy caught him and put him in a container he jumps out! We got him back in real fast and easy but I was scared knowing how fragile these little guys are!

That's a shame. I had a Watchman once. Every time I reached in the tank he would jump out. My Psychedelic couldn't care less. He's really laid back. But he's the only fish in my 30 gallon.

Crabs said:
That's a shame. I had a Watchman once. Every time I reached in the tank he would jump out. My Psychedelic couldn't care less. He's really laid back. But he's the only fish in my 30 gallon.

I have a yellow watchman in my 20 gallon and he never even reaches the middle of the tank!
Always in the sand or on a low lying rock, yeah I heard the green mandarins just mind their own business when fish are swimming around chasing each other and he"ll just be looking for some more pods

Back
Top Bottom