Fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brndfrb

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok i submitted pictures of the new dood i just built. Now i am wondernig about fans. THe fixtures that are in the hood for right now are one 96 watt smart light and a custom sealife 96 X2 watt hood. Now these are not retrofits. It is the whole thinkg. I think they are going to get very hot like this so should i put fans in the back of the hood? Aslo shoult they blow on the the houseing of the lights or should they be exhaust only? Now if i do need fans what do i need to get and how to i wire them up and to what? Not real good on the electrician part. HELP PLEASE

Brandon

Hi Brandon,

Here is how I am approching cooling fan problem in new hood I am in process of assembling...

Ordered two computer CPU fans (http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/browse/component/24.htm)

from KD computers. Got the Sunon 120's as they were the biggest and quitest for the $ ($11.00) ea. - need to find old computer power supply as they are 12 volt fans (from any old computer will do) - will be easy to wire up as built on connectors will be in place.

I am amounting on sides of canopy (also ordered protective grill - they come in all kinds of shapes - but I'd recommend either brass or stainless - to make look nice).

These guy's suck/blow alot of air.

Worked so well I am also putting a pair in sides of sump cabinet as well (can run off same power supply)...

They shipped quick and powered up just great. - thinking of mounting one blowing in and one out - if want to get really fancy, may hook up power supply eventually to a in line thermostat.

FWIW

OmarD
Silverdale, WA

in my canopy, i have two fans made to be used to blow air through ducts. they push a lot more air than most computer fans and run off of ac current.

One note on using the adapter approach - this is a great idea as you do not need the multiple voltages of a PC supply nor the power. However, when picking a powerpack be sure that it can provide enough power (it's rating in amps or watts should be at least 20% higher than what the fan is rated at. To convert amps to watts use this formula: watts = amps * volts, to go the other way use amps = watts/volts. Becareful with units as a mA is 1/1000th of an amp.\

Good site to get Power packs and powerful fans:

http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=815&item=DCTX-1219&type=store

Also, as for fan's ability to move air - compare the fan's CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute), for example a 20CFM fan moves alot less air then a 40CFM fan.

Recall that if you are using two fans and they are on opposite sides of the hood they should function in reverse (assuming you are not using anyother venting). For example, one on the right of the hood blows in the one on the left blows out. This will create the greatest cross ventalation.

HTH

Tom

Thanks Tom for great pointers...was wondering about best way to mount fans...

Just happen to have a couple of old pc power supply's laying about is main reason for opting to use one of them, besides having connectors all ready to hook up.

I do like the idea of having hooked to a in-line thermostat so they run only if needed - don't know if any of the computer fan controllers would actually work or if any let you set temp's at which to run.

Harbor Freight has a inline thermostat that looks like it would be just the ticket.

Rgds,

OmarD

Brandon,

Make sure you do not "block-off" (restrict) fans, if any, in those existing hoods (from pic) - may cause a light meltdown (or worse) -

You may need some additional outlets in canopy sides.

Omard

FYI- if your going to use a computer power supply, try to find an AT not ATX power supply. If you use a ATX you will have to play around with the wiring to get it to turn on with out being hooked up to a computer motherboard. The AT's have a switch on the power supply, no need to change wiring.

Back
Top Bottom