Feeding Scooter Blenny / Dragonette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noteworthy

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that you can feed scooter blennies some fine frozen meats.. but they generally live off the live rock - off the pods.

Could a scooter blenny successfully thrive off of flake/shrimp pellets/seaweed? I do have 100 lbs of LR but my sand bed is going to be replaced in a few days since I am moving.

What are you guys thinking?

I know my blennie feeds off flake but I `ve known others that could not get theirs to eat anything else.

My scooter blenny that I HAD ate anything I gave him at first. After a while he wouldnt eat anything except pods. Slowly in my 29 gal he starved along with a case of ich that broke out in my tank. :( I think with 100 lbs LR you should have plenty of pods. Just get one of those bottles of pods and put it in your tank to help repopulate from switching out sands. Give it a month or so and give it a go. They're really cool fish with lots of personality! HTH

I've never heard of ocellated dragonets (scooter blennys) eating flakes. The scooter is incorrectly named and not a relative of things like lawnmower blennys, they are actually dragonets. I'm assuming you're asking this question because you already have one and you're hoping he'll survive the move. Replacing the entire sand bed in your tank? I hope you've got another tank to keep all your fish in because you'll go through at the very least a very mild cycle. As far as scooters surviving off shrimp, in bigger tanks I really suggest you wait until you've got a good pod population. They just won't do well without pods unless you're spot feeding them in a very small aquarium.

I've never heard of ocellated dragonets (scooter blennys) eating flakes

Actually, i had a scooter blenny that chases down flakes :) I was advised to return him by a member of this board though

Wow. I suppose I'm saying that out of the fact that I've only fed saltwater fish flakes once, just to see if they eat it. I make my own food from mysis/brine/krill/ and cyclopeeze.

Actually I dont have a blenny... I lost my scooter when I moved from the 55 gallon to the 125.

I still think its better to be safe than sorry and you should get your pod population up before you decide to get another one if thats what you were planning on doing. It may eat frozen and then again it may not. Either way you will have your bases covered.

So a refugium to promote pod population isn't needed? Just a few months of a healthy sand bed? I am going to buy some live sand after the tank is setup.

I wasn't thinking of one right away but maybe a few months down the road.

Forgot to mention... I do have a sixline wrasse as well. Those eat pods from what I understand.. so my concern is.... could I have a healthy blenny and sixline without a refugium.

Something about adding pods to a tank.. you can buy those?

You can add pods but they would be eaten just as fast you add them. Dragonettes and wrasses hunt all day. The wrasse is a pod eating machine. I would suggest establishing a good refugium before adding the dragonette.

http://www.oceanpods.com/faq.html

Check this site out for getting more pods. You could always wait and let your existing ones reproduce but this is a way to help them out a little bit. Yes your sixline eats pods too which is all the more reason why you'll need a good supply of pods. A refugium helps out a lot when it comes to pods supply. It keeps the preditors out and gives them a place to reproduce with out getting depleted in your tank. Its a really good idea to get one. Is it a must, no, but it will help you out a bunch! HTH

Thanks for the info guys.. I need to build a better sump with a refugium.. right now I have a rubbermaid tub.

I might be able to talk my wife into letting me buy a 55 gallon tank as a sump and make a refugium section.

What exactly is needed to get a refugium going.. besides sand and slower flow.

Back
Top Bottom