First Sarcophyton..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atari

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hiya.. I have my first toadstool acclimating right now and was just wondering if anyone had any tips or comments about placement, flow etc.. or any other general remarks :)

They do best in med-high lighting. Depending on the set up it came from just be careful to acclimate it to a higher intensity by placing it lower in the tank and slowly raising it up an inch or two every few days.

Med flow is best especially near the top area of the crown. Just enough to sway the polyps. They crown has a nasty habit of collecting detritus if there is not enough flow around it and can cause necrosis. It also aids them when they shed. They do not typically open as nicely in high flow.

It's an extremely hardy coral and will accept a fair amount of abuse. Frags easily and in the right conditions growth increadibly fast. Try not to place it too close to other corals with strong chemical defenses or nematocyst. They are not well defended and will continually hybernate if so.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

Thanks revhtree!

Unfortunately I don't have a cam right now but as soon as I get one I'm sure I'll be boring you all with tons of pics :)

BTW is it normal for the toadstool to get all droopy at first? It looks kinda wilted.

Definately. They will droop on and off quite a bit as well as shed. It's alot more common with new additions, when their aggitated and as they get too large to support their own weight.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom