Flow levels in a tank, and nightly scheduling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently got some wave makers for my tank, and I got in the habit of turning them off at night as I saw someone else that had his on a timer to emulate the way the currents in the ocean work (or so he said). However, the guys at the LFS said I should always have the wave makers on and the more current the better.

What is correct?

There is wave action all the time in the ocean. The waves are calmer at night through, so maybe put some of the PC's on a timer if your wave maker does not have a night feature.
TC

When I had a wavemaker device I left it on always. My new powerhead has a wavemaker built in and it goes into "night mode" at night which is basically 50% of the power which is run throughout the day. Some people think its only there to save the longevity of the powerhead others think it is more natural. I don't believe it will make a difference as far as coral growth/color if it is left on constantly or is run in "night mode." I think the same would apply to your wavemaker. What wavemaker do you have?

I don't have a "Wave Maker", but I do leave all my powerheads/pumps on 24/7 and my corals grow like weeds. My fish usuall tuck into a coral/rock/cave at night when the lights go out, so Unless you are doing it for yourself I don't believe it makes any difference for the fish.

-TheChad

Back
Top Bottom