goby compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wherearepeople

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys

I'm looking to purchase a yellow watchman goby/ pistol shrimp pair from blue zoo aquaticslink. is there any thing i should be worried about when keeping this pair. and I would eventually like to keep another species of goby in the tank probably a panda goby is this possible? I have a 90G with 120 lbs of live rock

I`ve never had a goby/shrimp pair but I am very partial to the pink spotted goby.

AMD +1, gobies and the shrimp love to dig and as such if your rock is not all the way to the bottom it will creat a landslide and possiblely crack your tank at the worst or completely ruin your scaping at the least. ;)

+2. Our pistol routinely rescapes the tank. Be ready to blow off any corals on or near the sand bed. Other than that, you should be fine.

sweet thanks a lot guys I'm really excited to get these two in my tank could I put a panda goby pair with the watchman/pistol combo?

Yes. If the watchman and shrimp are paired off, that goby will stay with the shrimp. The other goby should be fine as long as it doesn't intrude and in that size of a tank, I think you'll have plenty of footprint.

The panda goby isn't a shrimp goby I believe and won't go near the hole anyway. He'll perch out in the open on rocks. They should be fine in the same tank.

Also, be aware that the panda goby cannot be QT'd in a tank that has copper. I killed one that way some time ago before I knew. They are the cutest little things!

Last edited:
I've got a yellow watchman and tiger pistol paired up. It is the coolest thing to watch. Watch out for small snails. I watched my tiger pistol come out of his hole yesterday and dig up a small nassarius and haul it away into the dark. Poor bugger has no chance.

Back
Top Bottom