Gorgonian only tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sqasnatch

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So here's my plan... My girlfriend and I are opening a restaurant, I want to put a 75 gallon gorgonian tank in there. I think it will be an awesome project. I think the colors of the filter feeding gorgonians are awesome. I'm goin to have low lighting on the tank cause they hate algea. The one I had previously would look at algea and deteriate... Was looking for input, and wanted to know if anyone else has tried this. I'm thinking for fish I'm going to go with coral gobies and flashers.. And a bunch of sexy shrimp. Let me know your thoughts

Gorgonians are really difficult to keep. You need a lot of flow. Also, no phosphates in the system because it kills them. You also need to feed them unless you have a good amount of fish.

Yup. I always keep lots of pyto and zooplankton and marine snow in the fridge. I had an orange flame one before but my tank spiked in phosphates about 5 months after I had it. Some of my macro got caught up in the return sump and mulched.. I have about 3 years experience with my 125 gallon.. Going to use a uv to help with keeping algea at a minimum and a massive skimmer. I'm not worried about keeping pristine water at all. And I'm only keeping gorgonians in there so I'm using minamal light.

Alright, then it sounds like you know what you're going to do lol. What's the filtration going to be? I would use phosban in a media container or macro algae in a refugium to help keep anything bad from rising.

slitherbomb said:
Which ones? I've only seen non photosynthetic ones so far.

Purple bush,orange tree .Check Liveaquaria.com,They give the info on the different ones.Sounds like an interesting tank you are planning.

Ricksreef said:
Purple bush,orange tree .Check Liveaquaria.com,They give the info on the different ones.Sounds like an interesting tank you are planning.

Will do! Really like gorgonians.

Yeah I'm putting it in my restaurant.. I'm trying no go for something very unique. I plan on converting my sea clone 100 into a media reactor and will be putting a small amount of phosban in there with the combination of macro,s in the refugium. After the tank is established I will be putting some mandarins in there as well, a mated pair, I have a pair now, when they were in the fish store they were starving to death.. Very fat now though. And yes I use a pod factory. There will be no photosynthetic gorgonians only filter feeders.

Sqasnatch said:
Yeah I'm putting it in my restaurant.. I'm trying no go for something very unique. I plan on converting my sea clone 100 into a media reactor and will be putting a small amount of phosban in there with the combination of macro,s in the refugium. After the tank is established I will be putting some mandarins in there as well, a mated pair, I have a pair now, when they were in the fish store they were starving to death.. Very fat now though. And yes I use a pod factory. There will be no photosynthetic gorgonians only filter feeders.

Can you show picture of your pod factory?

My refugium is loaded with them I switch rocks out daily. And I do a batch of brine shrimp every two weeks. I can post brine shrimp factory picks tomorrow. Heading to the bar right now

Back
Top Bottom