gorgonians?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twilyte

Aquarium Advice Regular
a curiosity. can gorgonians be "cultivated"? like asexual reproduction? or do they reproduce sexually?

I don't see why you couldn't propagate them like any other coral.

I personally called and spoke to the guy in charge of propigation at GARF. He told me that Gorgonia are one of the more difficult corals to keep alive and would definately consider them an advaced coral. He suggest mixing spirulina and Reef Plus (i think is what I use) and making a paste (about like pudding) and then adding a small amount of it several times each week.

Most of us struggle to keep them alive...much less propigate them. Good luck.

Gorgs hard to keep alive? Hm. Sure your not getting that and gonopora mixed up? Gorgonia (aka seafans).

Most light dependant gorgs are actually quite easy to keep I find. It's the filter feeding variety that can be a challenge. Those will typically have white polyps while the photosynthetic will be a dull grey or brown.

As far as fragging goes, it's not that difficult. They main concern is cutting back enough of the flesh to get at the hard stalk so you have a clean area to glue. If you don't clean/prep the stalk, they will necros.

Cheers
Steve

I've got 3 gorgonians and they're the only corals I'm having trouble with. If you get one, try a yellow. Seems to be the hardiest of my 3.

Back
Top Bottom