green sea kelp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

54seaweed

Macro Addict
I just got a crate of lobsters and they're packed in tons of green kelp
I was wondering hes anyone used kelp in the sump
its very odd looking 10 to 20 foot shoots big leaves and giant pods the size of golf balls running down the shoot

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess would be that it would do great in cold water like the lobster..
I have gone to Maine most of my life and have tried [like a rookie ] to keep things from the ocean there....Not happening without a chiller IMO..
You could try some and see if it degrades? The fish may also enjoy eating it so you could always freeze it for them?

I'll have to see if the tangs like it if so Ill cut up some and freeze it
it's definitely a odd algae the pods are the size of golf balls leaves are big too

must have enough to fill a black leaf bag I've been keeping it all moist with cold saltwater .
lobsters are liking the cold dripping water they seem to be moving around more , wow dropped piece of kelp in tank vlamingi tang is going to town on it. looks like Ill be freezing a bunch ,

I'd say it'd probably be good tang food, but lobsters are normally cold water inverts where a vast majority of our hobby systems aren't cold water enviroments.

the lobsters are xmas dinner I had a crate of them shipped in from Maine the most expensive xmas dinner yet ,

they came with tons of kelp figured if I could use some of it rather than just throw away why not.

just can't let the saltwater crew see me eating one or two of their buddy's.

oh and the lobster in my tank is a purple lobster he's been in there close to 3 years now he is the one I was going to stuff a piece of kelp into the rocks for . he eats about anything

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have got a pict but threw it all out after it clouded out my qt tank now got to clean it, didn't smell at all put in qt next morn I thought the toilet backed up the stench , well the tangs got a good size piece and finished it off , amazed display didn't cloud up

I’m still wondering how he is snacking on lobsters and keeping out of sight of his saltwater tank [emoji51]

oh couldn't resist I broke down gave trig my trigger a chunk of lobster , he ate it up fast didn't want to share with the wrasses.
oh trust me its hard avoiding tanks while eating they just sit and stare till they get theirs.

Back
Top Bottom