Harliquin Tusk in 22 Gallon QT...Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Herndo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a few photos of my new tusk. Today is his third day and I've only seen him this morning, Ihaven't been home yet to check on him. He was acting very dissoriented when I got him in the tank. I acclimated him very slowly over the course of 2 hours. Two days before he went in my two clown and flame angle made it out of their 2 month stint in QT into the MT. They are doing fine. Water parameters checked out fine and like I said, clowns and Angel enjoyed their stay at Cassa De' QT. At first he looked almost like a hot air balloon floating around the tank. I had to turn off the very small powerhead because it was blowing him around the tank. He was push with his fins once or twice and "float" across the tank and bump into the glass.

He has acted very lethargic and really seems to be hiding. I've kept the lights off the majority of the time because it's the only time he acts somewhat normal. When the lights are on he seems to sit in the corner of the tank (as you'll see) with his head down in a vertical possition. If I turn out all the lights and leave him alone for an hour or so and then sneek in he's sitting on the bottom of the tank in normal swimming position.

His eyes are NOT cloudy and are alert. They dart about as if he's looking at the world. He has no visible marks or spots of any kind, aside from one or two missing scales on his belly. I noticed a tiny bit of slime coating build up the first few hours he was in the tank but that has since gone away and I was told that is normal when you move a fish and they stress. His color is bright and not the least bit cloudy or faded.

I tried to feed him frozen mysis shrimp and bloodworms on the first day and he didnt' eat anything. I haven't tried anything else since. (that was only two days ago) Any ideas on enticing him to eat? Everybody like brine shrimp but are they too small for him? Anyways, always look forward to your help and here are the pics.

PS- He has PVC pipe he can hide in and I did see him do that for an hour or so. Do you think he thinks he's hiding when he goes in the corner with his head down like that? Kind of Ostrich like? Maybe I can get him a large elbow joint made out of PVC.

Attachments

• wrongway.jpg
    wrongway.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 119
  • tired_or_sick.jpg
    tired_or_sick.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 106
  • hiding_936.jpg
    hiding_936.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 101
well wrasses like to hide under the sand and such. they also like to lay down and "play dead" and when you go to remove them from the tank becasue you think they are dead they swim away.

mine hides behind rock all day wont even come out to eat have to put food behind rock for him. at night he will come out and swim around for awhile than goes in corner of tank and lays face up in some plants that cover my overflow boxes thought he was dead on day went to get him and he swam away like nothing was wrong.

Back
Top Bottom