harry mushroom question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jerejohnson

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey my harry mushroom was fine yesterday, and i changed the activated carbon in my canaster filter and flushed the sponge material in it and now its all curled up looks like it might be dead? any help would be great. all the water parameters are correct

Most likely just miffed. They will curl inward for a variety of reasons but should be fine really. Have you tested the parameters since cleaning the canister? If your primary source of filtration is the canister (which is not good), cleaning the media with fresh water will destroy most of your nitrifying bacteria and may cause a small spike in the numbers. If you have a decent amount of LR, I would axe the sponge materials.

Was anything else added to the water when you cleaned the canister?

Cheers
Steve

no and i have 75 lbs of live rock, and all the parameter are better than they were before i cleaned the filter media.

Then unless there is something close by the shroom possibley irritating it or you've done a water change, I'm at a loss. Give it a day or two and see what developes. Could be nothing but so far I see there is no real cause. Any cleaning supplies used near or around the tank?

Any ther corals in the tank? Proximity to the shroom?

Cheers
Steve

no cleaning suplies, but i did do a water change before i cleaned the filter. so i should take the filter media out? whys that?

jerejohnson said:
no cleaning suplies, but i did do a water change before i cleaned the filter.
Then it could easily be a reaction to that. If all the parameters of the new water chemically matched the old, salinity, ph and such; you should be fine.

so i should take the filter media out? whys that?
It's not needed with the LR and will most times add to poor water quality unless you are cleaning the media weekly. Canisters can be used effectively on a SW system but maintenance must be kept up religiously. With your LR, the canister would serve you better as added water flow and for carbon/resins than for sponges which will oftentimes catch detritus and build up degrading water quality...

Cheers
Steve

thanks steve... i dont know whats going on with my tank, the candycaine corals are retracting now it looks like fingers sticking out of the corals... something must have gotten into the water

Might be an idea to post the water parameters and chemistry to see if there is a possible problem... Your profile does not list your tank specs.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom