Has anyone ever bought this on ebay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you buy it, you own it. You can post pictures all over the internet of it if you want. Copyright protection is not to prevent someone from posting information about something they own on the internet. It is to prevent someone else from copying and selling the same design.

Copyrights do not need to be posted that there is one. If you write a book, you do not need a copyright. As long as you have proof it is your book you are covered. If someone re-does your book and copyrights it and you find out, you can really get them in trouble because you are the original maker, and you can have their copyright removed. Publicly displaying copyright stuff is BETTER because most people do not know that everyone who writes a book or something like this, is covered by a copyright.
Copyright does not cover something like this anyway (I checked into this extensivly one time). Copyright is mainly books and such.

A PATENT is what he would need. And those cost several hundred dollars to aquire (If I remember right).

And that is true, anyone can post all of that idea all OVER the internet and not get in trouble about it.

phishead said:
I think that it probably is a good idea, but when you have a good idea you should patent it and keep others from cashing in as much as possible.

It's not quite that simple. I think you have to hire a lawyer to research your idea to see if anything like it has already been patented, then you have to apply for a patent. A patent costs THOUSANDS of dollars I believe - I thought it was $8,000 (not including other legal fees). After you go through that legal hell, you still have to have the funds and desire to sue anyone who violates the patent.

Like most money-making ventures in this country, patents and copyrights are primarily for the rich or well-connected.

Ok, now I'm really ready to find out what this idea is...I really didn't think it'd take this long to find out! :microwave:

Clown Monarch said:
It's not quite that simple. I think you have to hire a lawyer to research your idea to see if anything like it has already been patented, then you have to apply for a patent. A patent costs THOUSANDS of dollars I believe - I thought it was $8,000 (not including other legal fees). After you go through that legal hell, you still have to have the funds and desire to sue anyone who violates the patent.

Like most money-making ventures in this country, patents and copyrights are primarily for the rich or well-connected.

Its $500 to apply for the patent, then you have to do a search (at the patent office, or a lawyer can do it for you) to make sure that you can patent it. That takes time. Other than that there are no fees to patent an idea, just to actually produce it.

My husband (prior to us getting married) went to have an idea patented. He paid the $500 than found out that the idea had already been patented. His best friend is a major business man in our home town and has done patents many times before, thus he didnt need all the expensive books or lawyers to get started. That was in Texas. I am not sure if it varies from state to state or country to country.

Most people use lawyers to get patents, but you dont have to. If you do hire a lawyer it is more expensive. They will also come up with ways that you can go around getting a patent on a similar idea to one that has already been patented. People get ideas patented all the time, then never do anything with them. Its really very stupid. I think they should only patent ideas if people have a solid business plan on how they are going to make money on the idea.

After you go through that legal hell, you still have to have the funds and desire to sue anyone who violates the patent.

That's exactly right. Filing the patent doesn't cost nearly as much as it does to defend it, especially if you're up against an established company with deep pockets.

Where did I hear $8,000? That must have been something else.

If I were this guy (on Ebay) I'd probably go about it the same way, however fruitless it may seem. The best ideas are just that - ideas. Anyone can steal an idea with or without a patent.

If I were this guy (on Ebay) I'd probably go about it the same way, however fruitless it may seem. The best ideas are just that - ideas. Anyone can steal an idea with or without a patent.

I agree, I would do the same. Plus, He is supplying some materials. Which means he did not create any new trapping hardware. He took something he had lying around the house.

If he patented it, you would see it in the store and say, "I could build that out of a coke bottle. I'm not going to pay $15.00 for it!"

I Still think that if you are going to go through the trouble of keeping it a secret you need to find a new avenue. Keeping your feedback private on ebay seems sneaky.

Think about how many people are out there with a fish they do not want to disassemble their tank to catch. I have considered buying this product several times. That damn Pseudo-chromis loves to pick on my other fish.

Then think about the people who have posted on this thread for what is now 4 pages. Free Advertising!!! All curious as to what it is. If Dr. Nate never tells us what it is, will you guys go buy one to tell the rest of us? It is only five bucks. This hobby costs so much money, I bet a lot of people buy it just out of curiosity.

Quietly interested here...............................................................................

I bought it when it was just a dollar hehe. It is a bottle you put a weight and some food in it then you cut out 3 triangles and fold them in. Attach a string and wait for it to go in!

Back
Top Bottom