Help figuring out Red Sea Coralline Gro dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenergizerl

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some coralline on a few of my rocks but I really would like to experiment and try this product. However I really can't figure out the dosing instructions so if anyone can help me figure them out I I'd be very happy.
My tank is 60g so we'll use the 200L Volume and currently my alkalinity or dkH is 12 which is @4.2meq/l I think.
Anyways back to the weird instructions
First it states:
ml/100 liters (25 gal) for 3 meq/L 8.4dkH
then there's this chart

Measured Level
(meq/l - dkh)
2.0-5.6 56
2.1-5.9 50
2.2-6.2 42
2.3-6.5 39
2.4-6.8 33
2.5-7 28
2.6-7.3 22
2.7-7.6 17
2.8-7.9 11
2.9-8.2 6

so does this mean my alkalinity is to high right now to use this stuff?

I couldn't find what it's ingredients are except for "Contains a trace element and buffer complex." Buffers are usually a combination of sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate and/or borate. All these will add to your alkalinity levels. 12 dKH is high to begin with (I keep my tank around 8-9 dKH). I would not add anything which would raise your alk even higher than it is now.

Thanks. is there a way to lower alkalinity levels? I don't know why they would be high, I just did a 30% water change 2 weeks ago.

Anyways I'd still like to know how to decifer the dosing so I can use this if my alkalinity is ever low enough please

Normal readings are 8-12 dKH, so you don't really need to lower it, either. What kind of salt are you using, what's your salinity, and what's your calcium & magnesium readings? Alk, calc, & mag are all tied together, and you really shouldn't be attempting to dose just one of those without knowing what the others are.

instant ocean sea salt, salinity is all in the green and my calcium is fluctuating between 380 and 420 and I don't have a test for mag yet

instant ocean sea salt, salinity is all in the green and my calcium is fluctuating between 380 and 420 and I don't have a test for mag yet

Is this regular Instant Ocean, or IO Reef Crystals? Typically, IO doesn't run that high on the alk.....

Salinity "all in the green" ???? What are you using to test? If it's a floating-needle hydrometer, I'd recommend getting a refractometer.... much more accurate. If there's even one tiny, unseen air bubble on the floating needle, it can throw the reading off. I was looking for the actual specific gravity number like 1.0##
If the salinity is too high, that can produce a higher concentration of minerals.

That's a decent Calc number. And your mag is likely OK.... if it was low, that much alk would be precipitating (snowflaking), but you should pick up a test kit for that as well.

Last edited:
instant ocean sea salt as stated, not reef crystals. Yes it's a hydrometer but I don't flat it in the tank I have a cylinder for it and you get rid of air bubbles by spinning it down. This hobby is expensive enough. I'll get back to you on the actual reading, I'll have to test it and let you know. But I'm looking for help with my original inquiry not my current situation. Which is:
Help understanding Coralline Gro dosing so I can use it properly when testing permits. Please

Understood.... But we are also attempting to help you by trying to understand what is going on within your system.
I, like ccCapt, did some research, and couldn't find what is actually in this stuff..... IMO, if they're not willing to openly publish what's in it, it may as well be snake oil. If I don't know exactly what it is, it goes in the trash, not the tank...... regular water changes & a healthy system is all that is needed for good growth.

If you insist on using it at a later time, the chart is giving you the number of ml per 100 liters to add to achieve 8.4 dKH (3 meq/l). For example, if your tank tests at 7.3 dKH (2.6 meq/l), look at the chart and you'll see a 22 next to it.... this is the amount, in ml, that you need to add per 100 liters (26.4 gallons) to achieve 8.4 dKH. I hope there's a warning on there somewhere about raising alk too fast.... raising more than 1dKH in a 24 hour time period is not good for your system.

Thanks I do really appreciate the help, concern and great advise. But for the moment though I thought it better to address my other issues in a seperate topic. Thanks for helping with the dosing.
I'm start s new topic with my other issues and list my parameters in greater detail there
Thanks again! :)

Back
Top Bottom