How can I get rid of red slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billtw1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I get rid of red slime. I use r/o water and parameters check fine.
Started running poly filter and has helped some but mostly with the green algae instead of the red. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I have 24 gallon reef with 72 watts of light that stays on about 12 hrs a day. The tank is 6-8 months old and I haven't changed anything. Do water change every two weeks of about 15 per cent.

This is what I would do. I would siphon up as much as you can when you do PWC`s. I would do weekly PWC`s and then I would cut back on feedings and light time. We do have a great article about it in our SW articles section.

I feel your pain. I've been on vacation for the past 3 weeks and I know my tank is covered in it. You may want to look into building a refugium or buying a HOB one to help export the nutrients. My plan for once I get home is to finally finish my sump/refugium and I plan to use chemi-clean to give mt new refugium a head start.

I wrote a good article about how to get rid of algae as well - my best suggestion ( along with whats posted) is to make sure your rocks are stacked correctly. I had a huge issue with cyano and green hair before I redid my rocks - I had them all stacked up against the back and it allowed a lot of deitrus to accumulate. Post a picture if you can :) You may need to re-aquascape.

Make sure you dont have any dead spots, vacuum out any dead spots, add power heads if needed.. do a relatively large PWC and then do about 10-20% weekly. It will really help

Back
Top Bottom