How do you add water to your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScotJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Really rookie question here - but I'm buying a 150 gallon tank, and the thought of transporting that much water seems VERY daunting; so I'm thinking I'll bring 100gallon or so and slowly top the tank up.

How do I do this? What makes the water turn to SALT water?

The tank does include 2" of live sand, and sump as well with a skimmer.

what do u mean by bringgg 100g's. are you moving an establishd tank to another building/place in your house?. i just use a 5g bucket for my tank. if your going to have a 150g i would def look into syphon attach to your sink. then you can run it anywhere in your house without having to use buckets, although i dont like that concept because i like to treat the water before i put any water in my tank. you need salt tablets or crystals that they sell at your LFS. are you buying some sort of kit? and above all do not try to move your tank with really any water in it. you can crack or cause a leak due to the pressure difference.

I'm moving an sort-of established tank from somones apartment to my office - about 30 miles away.

The tank has 100gallons in it now, with a sump and skimmer. The tank itself is 150 gallon.

I'm also bringing with it the live sand, and 5 or 6 fish (That are currently in the tank).

I planned to syphon the water into 20 or so 5g jugs.

try finding a local pet store that has saltwater fish, most will help you out with water already to use and some will help you transport the tank over to your office for a price. i would go this wway and sell the fish to the lfs and let the tank sit for 5-6 weeks to settle down and cyle

Get new sand. Dry bags of arogonite. NEED TO RINSE, RINSE, AND RINSE. Until it runs clear.That used sand will likely create problems. Got much live rock? My only need half the existing water. I'd get a new trashcaan (on wheels) full of salt water mix going soon. At least 24hrs before the move. 40 gallons.

Pick a salt brand. I use Instant Ocean. It's dry and mixes with fresh water.

Sounds like you should cruise our articles section and learn a bit more before you move this tank and have serious problems.

Good luck

That used sand will likely create problems.

I keep getting mixed reviews on this? I'm confused now. Some people stress that I should keep the sand - while others think I should get rid of it.

What are some of the pros and cons to keeping the sand?

How old is the tank and sand in it? How deep? It might be OK to use some for "seed". But tell me how much rock you working with too. We'll go from there. I need to visualize what substances and how much, partuclarly the rock and sand and the age of them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom