How much circulation in the fuge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am starting to see small patches of grey forming on the top of the sand in my new fuge. Do I need a ph in the fuge to keep the water moving or is this a normal thing?

200-300 gph should be fine for a fuge. Do you have any sand stirrers in there? The sand needs to be turned over naturally.

Spagetti worms as well as snails that go IN the sand. I think they are called CERITH snails. As well as sand sifting stars are good choices.

mrrrkva said:
Spagetti worms as well as snails that go IN the sand. I think they are called CERITH snails. As well as sand sifting stars are good choices.

Wouldn't a sand sifter kill the pod population?

Nassarius and possibley miniature brittle stars would work well. The nassarius moves throughout the substrate while the cerith usually just lingers beneath the surface. The stars would help with surface organics the most.

If the fuge is not "planted" the flow is less important and you can increase it to meet the needs of the tank. If planted you do not want brisk flow but rather as slow as possible. The longer the macro's have to absorb nutrient, the better the process will work.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom