How much to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ixmnrs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I'm new here to the forum which I have found very helpful in the past. It's nice to see I'm not the only one running into problems now and then.

Anyway, I would any recommendations on how much to feed my fish / inverts. I have a 40 G Hex SW tank with 25 lbs LR. I have 2 clowns, a blue tang, a yello tang and 2 cleaner shrimp. I currently feed granulated food 2 times a day, and have started on blanched greens for the tangs, once a day. I feed live phytoplankton for my corals every other day, including my sun coral which I try to direct feed.

My levels are not bad except my nitrates are around 20ppm which I would like to see possibly a little lower. Am I feeding too much? Any recommendations on how to adjust my feeding schedule? Thanks, any comments would be appreciated.

I have a 40 G Hex SW tank with 25 lbs LR. I have 2 clowns, a blue tang, a yello tang

Two tangs in a 40g is a little too much, I suspect they are very small right now, you need to know you will need to get a larger tank for them soon. They will also need a rectangular tank that offers them more swimming room, tangs are strong swimmers and need a minimum of 4ft tank length to be happy and healthy. The tangs will require a constant source of algae to graze on all day long, this can be accomplished by adding strips of nori (raw and unseasoned) either on a veggie clip or rubber banded to a rock. The clowns will only require a small amount (no more than they can eat in a couple of minutes) once every day or every other day.

I feed live phytoplankton for my corals every other day, including my sun coral which I try to direct feed.

The sun coral is a carnivore and will prefer zoo plankton, mysis shrimp chopped clam etc...it is also non-photosynthetic and requires daily feeding, target feeding making sure to feed each polyp.

Back
Top Bottom