How to lower PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaycay6971

Aquarium Advice Newbie
my Ph level is high and I was told that lemon juice or vinigar reduce the PH in a saltwater tank...is this true?...if so then how much would I use in a 46 gallon bowfront aquarium?

Thanks for any and all help

Welcome to the site!
What is your pH reading?
Remember pH will be lower after lights out and rise after lights on.
Also, a stable pH is better than the "perfect" pH.

I have always had a stable PH reading but I checked it today and it is 88....that is way high for my readings.

sorry but I am new to all this...

what does PWC's and IME stand for....sorry again

I just done a water change last weekend. This has all happened within the past week

sorry but I am new to all this...

what does PWC's and IME stand for....sorry again

I just done a water change last weekend. This has all happened within the past week

PWC = partial water changes IME = in my experience :)

You might want to check your source water. I had a problem with high PH and found out the water I was using for toping off was pretty high (8.8 +)

If so you'll need to get an RO/DI ( good anyhow) or make sure you use pure water ( store bought) for changes / top offs.

okay....thnks for the advice.

Is there anything I can do to make the PH come down other then the wate changes?

The safest thing is just water changes.

If it's been stable all along, is there something you did over the last week that wasn't normal? If you've been doing the same thing all this time, I'd guess it's a bad test kit. Are you using a liquid test kit, or an electronic meter?

can adding Iodie to the tank raise the PH?....that is the only thing I have done in the past week..

I have always used the same test kit...its liquid.

The only thing I can think is the iod.

I'm not sure about that. Anyone else know any relationships between iodine and pH?... Often times, a minor change in one thing can set off a cascading effect on other things.

Why did you dose the iodine and are you testing the levels? In my opinion, assuming you're doing water changes every 1-2 weeks, you're probably replenishing your trace elements just fine.

Back
Top Bottom