How would you categorize these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

liquidreamer

Aquarium Advice Activist
If I was creating a little webpage with some pictures - how would you list the cats/links? Also, what kind of stuff would go in these? Feel free to totally shut me down or make your own modifications....

For instance - I am thinking of this....

----Large Polyp Stonies (LPS)----
Name
Name

----Small Polyp Stonies (SPS)----
Name
Name

----Soft Tissue?? / Polyp??----

Mushroom

Plate

Zoanthid

Tube

----Invertibrate----

snails

urchins

shrimp

clams

crabs

----Plants----
I am confused in this area... there is macro algea such as chaeto, caluerpa, etc... is this all classified as algea or plantlfe? Should there be an algea category after plants?

I would change the plants to macro algae unless you plan on things like Mangroves.

Soft Tissue I would change to Soft Coral.

I would then add separate catageories for polyps and another for mushrooms since there are so many of each and they are so popular.

lps
frogspawn
hammers
bubbles
torches
brains
acans

sps
acros
monties

A plate coral is an LPS and not a softie
A tube coral (which I guess you mean a suncoral) is a LPS as well.

Hey Jason - if a plate and a tube (black and orange sun) is considered an LPS... what is a softie then? Could all coral be classified as an SPS or LPS is what I guess I am asking....

Kenya tree, leathers, Xenia. There's no stoney skeletin at all on those. They'd smush if you squeezed them between your fingers. With a plate there's the hard part (Stoney) and then the Large Polyps. Same with the sun (when it is closed you can see the outline of the skeletin). If those things were to die you'd see white "stone" where the hard outlines of the underlying structure were.

There's a fine line between Large and Small polyp Stoney corals. It really depends on your definition of "large" and "small". Hydnophora is tough one, IMO. They aren't BIG polyps like a sun or a frogspawn but they're clearly discernable by the naked eye, unlike most "Small" polyped stonies. The breakdown in large v. small is more subjective and isn't a hard and fast "rule"

Phyl - thanks for clearing the discrepancies up.... but does mean that all coral could be classified as LPS or SPS (with the exception of Kenyas, Leathers, and Xenia which are NOT LPS or SPS but soft coral)?

Back
Top Bottom