HQI vs. Mogul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
besides the ends, what are the differences in the bulbs. i was told that the HQI's were actually brighter or something. i was planning on getting 2 400w moguls but now i can get 2 250 w HQI for just about wholesale. any thoughts or comments? thanks

I do believe that the material a HQI is made out of is different than a mogul bulb but I am not exactly sure why the PAR of a HQI when compared to the same wattage and spectrum mogul is higher. Perhaps someone else will know.

I do know that with a HQI bulb, you need a UV shield to block the UV emitted by the HQI bulb while the mogul bulb's glass envelope acts as the UV shield so another one is not needed for these.

You might want to contact Hara...she has a 2x250 HQI setup on a tank. AFAIK, she is very happy with it so far. HQI is a bit more intense, but I don't know if the 250 HQI will rival a 400 mogul for depth penetration...I kinda doubt it. How deep is the tank you're working on? That will probably be the deciding factor.

so the HQI do not go as deep ?

Deep as what? Comparing a HQI 250w 10k vs. a mogul 250w 10, the HQI wins just about all around . Higher PAR thus better water penetration.

Back
Top Bottom