I need some help with my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jossy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When I first started my tank I bought base rock and my tank looks a little white so I started helping my tank by putting Kent marine purple tech. It got out of control and I stopped putting in the tank. But now I have spaghetti looking green algae. I have to clean my tank out every two weeks by pulling the algae off the rocks because it gets out of control. What can I do to make it stop ?IMG_3642.jpg

purple up is junk I would never recommend adding any type of additives to a new tank or any tank for that matter they only cause problems , leave that to the more experienced .

from what I see its cayno Large water changes will help , I don't see any power heads in your tank , power heads in a salt water tank are a must for circulation ,

no circulation is like having stagnant water sitting one big dead spot . this is what causes cayno to sit on your rocks and sand , cayno is caused by the silicates being released from the sand in your tank , having power heads will help circulate your water not allowing those dead spots where this nasty looking algae forms ,

cayno is normal in new tanks so don't be alarmed with it , like I said good circulation and large water changes will help get you through this phase ,

with saltwater good circulation and water changes are your friend , there is no need to add any type of additives to your tank everything you need is in your salt , your rock will color up over time , the only time you would need to start adding any type of additives is when your heavily stocked with coral mainly sps, but still use caution .

additives can lead to many issues that could have been prevented if you never used them , only the more experienced reefers use them as they learned how they react with one another . not knowing what can be added with what can cause big issues even crash a tank.

I've been keeping reefs for many years I still am Leary of using additives , water changes keep my tanks healthy and clean ,

baby steps with saltwater learn as you go , never rush into things your not sure about research ask a lot of questions first , always be sure your comfortable with your trying to do , many times thing can't be reversed and bad things can happen to both coral and fish.

purple up is junk I would never recommend adding any type of additives to a new tank or any tank for that matter they only cause problems , leave that to the more experienced .

from what I see its cayno Large water changes will help , I don't see any power heads in your tank , power heads in a salt water tank are a must for circulation ,

no circulation is like having stagnant water sitting one big dead spot . this is what causes cayno to sit on your rocks and sand , cayno is caused by the silicates being released from the sand in your tank , having power heads will help circulate your water not allowing those dead spots where this nasty looking algae forms ,

cayno is normal in new tanks so don't be alarmed with it , like I said good circulation and large water changes will help get you through this phase ,

with saltwater good circulation and water changes are your friend , there is no need to add any type of additives to your tank everything you need is in your salt , your rock will color up over time , the only time you would need to start adding any type of additives is when your heavily stocked with coral mainly sps, but still use caution .

additives can lead to many issues that could have been prevented if you never used them , only the more experienced reefers use them as they learned how they react with one another . not knowing what can be added with what can cause big issues even crash a tank.

I've been keeping reefs for many years I still am Leary of using additives , water changes keep my tanks healthy and clean ,

baby steps with saltwater learn as you go , never rush into things your not sure about research ask a lot of questions first , always be sure your comfortable with your trying to do , many times thing can't be reversed and bad things can happen to both coral and fish.

Thanks so much for ur time and all this info. I will add a power head and do a water change removing more water than usual. I will do a lot more research like u recommend before adding anything to my tanks.

Jossy ,... that was pretty good and detailed advice given by seaweed,.. even the best of reefers go thru trying and struggling times trying to figure things out , best advice is to take those little baby steps one step at a time .,never be in a hurry when it comes to the saltwater world ,When in doubt just ask the forum and someone will step forward and answer any questions you have.

Thanks so much for ur time and all this info. I will add a power head and do a water change removing more water than usual. I will do a lot more research like u recommend before adding anything to my tanks.

remember there are many members here to help you through those hard spots . don't ever be afraid to ask a question , I still ask questions myself that's how we learn . (y)

we want you to succeed and be able to enjoy your tank , baby steps the best advice I ever got . welcome to our forum and I look forward to see your tank evolve .:fish2:

remember there are many members here to help you through those hard spots . don't ever be afraid to ask a question , I still ask questions myself that's how we learn . (y)

we want you to succeed and be able to enjoy your tank , baby steps the best advice I ever got . welcome to our forum and I look forward to see your tank evolve .:fish2:

Thank u

Jossy ,... that was pretty good and detailed advice given by seaweed,.. even the best of reefers go thru trying and struggling times trying to figure things out , best advice is to take those little baby steps one step at a time .,never be in a hurry when it comes to the saltwater world ,When in doubt just ask the forum and someone will step forward and answer any questions you have.

Thanks means a lot :)

Back
Top Bottom