i want to do a reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The camaro show

Aquarium Advice Activist
so ive had a 90 gallon freshwater with a sump for 6 years now and i want to get a salt tank i was thinking around 125-180 gallons and i was thinking of doing a reef

fish i was thinking tell me if these would work
a pair of some type of clowns a lemonpeel angel some type of eel i hear they are hit or miss a blenny and a goby idk what types any you recromend and a black cap basset,and a yellow and powder blue tang, and a orange back wrasse,and org i wanted a puffer but none are reef safe so thats a no go and id love sometype of clean up crew with cleaner shrimp but thats dinner for a eel. so tell me what you guys think of how many fish and pairs and groups of each and corals to look at and if theres any other fish let me know guys!

In all honesty, this is the second or third thread about this topic for you on the saltwater side of things here. You can clearly identify and have an understanding as to what works in the system, but still seem stuck on being unable to actually do anything with that knowledge. With this being the case, I'd recommend not setting up this system until you decide what you actually want to do rather than wanting others to do it for you. You will enjoy your system if it fits what you want it to be, not what I or someone else would want in their living room.

its the second i had a reply in the other saying make a list of fish and coral and more about the tank and see what people think so i made this one.

Could you link exactly what wrasse you are talking about? Orange back could refer to a few. I'd still skip the eel, just such a messy fish in a reef.

its the second i had a reply in the other saying make a list of fish and coral and more about the tank and see what people think so i made this one.

I think what is meant (and may be wrong) is a complete plan list - equipment, stocking types and stocking amounts. Types and numbers. So for example when I re-did the planted tank I drew it all out and listed everything, including spaces left for a purpose. Equipment that I needed, etc.

you are right, my store sells eshopps products thats the brand of sump i have and ive never had any problems with it. what do you guys think of eshopps, its a orange back fairy wrasse.

IMO their skimmers are meh. I never had luck with my old one. Can't really comment on any of the other stuff they sell. The fairy wrasse would be fine. I'd definitely add it close to first though. They're kinda shy fish until established.

Either solo or 1 m 2 f. Or get a trio of females and one will change to male

In all honesty, this is the second or third thread about this topic for you on the saltwater side of things here. You can clearly identify and have an understanding as to what works in the system, but still seem stuck on being unable to actually do anything with that knowledge. With this being the case, I'd recommend not setting up this system until you decide what you actually want to do rather than wanting others to do it for you. You will enjoy your system if it fits what you want it to be, not what I or someone else would want in their living room.

I honestly have to agree you are jumping around asking what everyone else wants and how they would do it , first thing I would suggest is settle down .

your going to hyper ventilate , looking through all your threads you present yourself as a lost puppy , not knowing anything you want as you jump all over the place,

you not only confuse yourself you confuse everyone trying to help you if you really want a saltwater tank start doing your homework , were not here to build your tank for you . take a deep breath now you can start with your number one thing you lack doing for yourself 'Research'

research is a big roll in saltwater it's not just add water and fish , the way your asking you getting over whelmed and your confusing yourself , lots of reading will give you a better understanding of what is required to undergo a successful saltwater aquarium , the key is this Baby steps yes it may sound stupid but it works .

do everything in steps keep a journal of what your doing this will give you fast reference if you ever have to fall back on something.

Start with researching what equipment will suite your system , remember no two systems are completely alike , understand how everything works together like a well oiled machine ,

knowing if your buying a prefabbed sump or building your own . this link should tell you everything you need to know about a sump
Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sumps, Part I by Greg Taylor

now go out and get what you decided will work for you . learn about all the equipment you need and how it works , remember those words Baby steps
take your time don't over whelm yourself . this will help you understand every part of your system as you build it.

everything in saltwater should be done in Baby steps taking it slow helps you
in more ways than you imagine . rushing never produces a quality set up , the only thing rushing does is bring issue after issue.

I'm not going into detail as you need to do the research as every little detail needs to be understood ,

once you get through your first set of baby steps you can start your next
step .

This is a very important step your Cycle don't rush it let it do it's thing , be sure you have the tools to do what is required to do .
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

Research and Baby steps the best advice one can give . if everyone does it all for you , when that time comes and yes it will , if you don't know anything about your system when that problem arises , just knowing the basics can help weather you can correct a problem before it takes your stock.

Research and Baby steps are the key to a healthy tank with healthy stock (y)

Follow the keys guide yourself in that direction of a successful tank .
Saltwater is not a cheap hobby the more you know the better you are .
many jump into this hobby with no clue of what is to come don't be that next victim better yet don't make the fish that victim ,:fish1:

Last edited:
i know baby steps, i know about sumps becuase i have one on my 90g freshwater tank and research is important in both salt and fresh and i know its expensive my freshwater set up was $5,000 and i have alot more in it.

Hello Camaro show, welcome to the salty side. A Sump for a saltwater tank is totally different than for a freshwater tank. I agree with Seaweed do your research. There is a ton of information on this forum in written form. There is a lot of equipment out there for saltwater tanks. Read reviews on the equipment and ask questions if there is something you don't understand. There are a lot of people on here that have many years of experience in this hobby that are willing to help you. Make a plan and execute it one step at a time and most of all be patient and don't rush things. I'm sure you will do fine.

I wish you would give that same advice to the fresh water people for what I read they need it. It seems to me so many people don't look up a thing before they jump into getting an aquarium salt or freshwater,advise was well said.

I see that all the time and it is very sad because the fish they select to keep will pay the price and then they dont understand what went wrong.

I'm wondering if there is a general article on here about starting a build (saltwater or freshwater) that can be broadcasted to everyone on the forum. I will have to do some research on that.

Back
Top Bottom