Invert acclimation advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midiman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK I'm confused. If I equalize temps by floating my new invert in the bag, then use the drip drip drip technique in a bucket to equalize SG and pH, the temp of the new water in the bucket will now be lower than the tank.

Do I have to rebag and refloat the poor little guy AGAIN to re-equalize the temps? Seems excessive to me.

How do you deal with this problem?

I drip mine in one of those speciman containers that hang on the edge of the tank. I hang it in my sump on a baffle so it is in the water. That way the temp stays constant. HTH

How do you deal with this problem?
I (float) temp acclimate, transfer the water from the bag into a plastic bucket, start the drip and place a small heater in the bucket.
Just keep checking the temp, PH and SPG of the water in the bucket and when they matches the tank, I transfer the animal.
HTH

i just drip acclimate slowly with the specimen in the bag floating in the sump. i see no need to use a seperate bucket, but a specimen container sounds helpful.i just use the bag the specimen came in from the LFS.

i see no need to use a seperate bucket
Didn't say there was a need, thats just how I do it. :wink:
Easier to getting the fish out of a bucket (or a plastic container) than a bag when you don't want to put that water in the system.

I use a separate bucket, but you're constantly dripping tank water, and as long as your not in a cold room, I think the difference is minor. I've never had a problem just drip aclimating (after floating of course).

yes drip is the way to go for sure.
i dont see why adding the water to the system make a big difference unless were talking about a system 10 galons or less the water level change shouldnt be major....
plus, if your worried about parasite in the water theyll likely be on the specimen being introduced if theyre in the water that it is transported in.
i have always added the water - even when transporting long distances on rare occasions (ie the greyhound ;)) never had a problem...YET.
i use a big bucket to mix artificial saltwater for a couple days before a water change, but thats a different story :D.
we all agree that dripping is the way to go after floating to get temps correct.

i dont see why adding the water to the system make a big difference unless were talking about a system 10 galons or less the water level change shouldnt be major....
Many other factors, parasites, bacterial, fungal, etc. Also many LFS's use copper in their system.
plus, if your worried about parasite in the water theyll likely be on the specimen being introduced if theyre in the water that it is transported in.
Thats why qt should always be used.
have always added the water - even when transporting long distances on rare occasions (ie the greyhound ) never had a problem...YET.
Operative word being YET. 8O

I just float the bag then just stick them in the water. I never drip any of my corals or inverts(except shrimp and starfish). I only drip my fish. So far so good.

The problem with adding a lfs water to your system is the fact that you don't know what you might be introducing into the tank. It is a risk that could set you back. I never add lfs to my system.

Mike

well to each their own...i have a raport with my lfs and i know they dont use copper in their coral system becasue i asked them. as for the risk of fungal, bacterial, or parasitic infection i think qt is a good method.
i put the yet in there attempting to include the forces of murphy's law...but then you add the luck of the irish and its an even match :) hence, happy coral!

When my other heater was being used on the QT tank and I needed to drip acclimate some new inverts, I put on my shorts and raised the house temp to match my tank temp. Had some rum and coke too! Great vacation, just a bit too short :D

CBRGuy said:
I just float the bag then just stick them in the water. I never drip any of my corals or inverts(except shrimp and starfish). I only drip my fish. So far so good.

Opposite for me - I drip new corals (with an I.V. drip) for maybe 15 minutes and just float new fish for maybe 15 minutes. 50+ corals and fish later I've never had an acclimation problem.

I hafta roll my eyes when I see people drip-acclimating for 4 hours in a fish-equivalent of an intensive care unit.

I agree with makana and CBRGuy. I float the bag then start adding water to the bag while floating - 1 or 2 doses. Then, net the specimen out and trash the bag and water.

Easy enough. I did the same with a 10", NASTY green terror in my cichlid tank. That FREAK of a fish must ahve splashed a full gallon on the floor. If it worked for that belligerent terrorist, I don't think a coral/invert is nearly a problem.

Back
Top Bottom