Is a CB shrimp compatible with a fire shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering if a coral banded would be compatible with a fire shrimp in a 29 gallon reed? Or would a xtra large Emerald work in the same scanrio without the fire shrimp? TIA

The fire shrimp would not last long in a tank that size. The CBS would take him out. The crab would be fine.

A 29 is not a lot of realestate for those two. I have both in my 72 with no problems, but from what I read, I have a pretty mild CBS. It does not bother anything in my tank. In fact, it cleans my copperband butterfly.

Coral banded are the meanest of the shrimp, I would advise against it in anything smaller than a 75, with a LOT of LR for them to hang out in. The main thing with CBS is that even though they don't have a lot of mass, they take up a large amount of space with those claws and whatnot, when compared to most other shrimps. They have an attitude about that space to take up too, and fire shimp are so shy I would worry about them being attacked.

Would that apply for all shrimp? I want to get a cleaner shrimp to try to help with my ich problem, but im not gonna throw in a shrimp only to have it killed. Also, would an extra large emerald be a concern with the other livestock?

i'm going to jump on this... sorry.

I have 2 peppermint shrimp in a 50 gall, and wanted to buy a pair of the CBS.
I only have about 15lbs of LR but heaps of hiding space.
Whats a person to do?

Squado, I don't know about the Emerald Crab at all, but the cleaner shrimp would be sorta hit and miss, in my opinion. You might be able to tell the docility of your CBS by watching it and seeing how much of a meanie it acts like (snapping at other fish, etc). Mine was right mean, so I didn't even chance other shrimp with it, in my 29 gallon tank.

trotty, IMO you should be fine, IF the CBS are a true pair. Make sure the source of the shrimp can verify that they are and aren't just trying to sell you two shrimp. I think they are better as having only one of a species in the tank. Else they'll fight each other. But with lots of space like that you 'should' be okay.

I've had the CBS for about three months now and he is kind of tough. I mean, he nips at other fish but he has never done any damage to them. He is still kind of small (compared to others ive seen). With the amount of rock and hiding places I think im gonna give it a try. I guess ill just have to see if the cleaner makes it or not. Trotty, ive read a lot of posts about putting two CBS's in the same tank and a lot of them advise not to do it. Like devil said, they must be a mated pair and you have to be able to trust your lfs on this.

well the pair in question have been in a breeder container at the top of one of the display tanks for about 2 weeks now, and he said he wont sell them seperate.

$70 for the pair. what do you think?

Oh and the tank is a 2ft cube does this matter? Thanks

I really dont know. Alot of people say they are not and when I go in the LFS I see fire blood shrimp with Coral Banded shrimp together in a 15 gallon tank.

I know, when ever you go to the lfs you see all kinds of things that are not supposed to be compatible in the same tank. I wonder if thats because their only there for a small period of time. I think im gonna take the chance and see if the cleaner will make it or not.

Back
Top Bottom