is a sixline wrasse compatable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
Greetings. I'm having trouble finding the type of information I'm seeking on the sixline wrasse. I know there are different types of wrasse, and I don't want to put anything in my tank that will disturb the current inhabitants:

royal gramma
cleaner shrimp
soft corals (yellow polyps, button polyps, pipe organ, shrooms)
feather dusters
christmas trees

I have a fuge with a small pod population.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

it is possible that the wrasse will bother the shrimp, feather dusters and christmas tree worms. It will probably leave the corals alone and should not have issues with the gramma.

oh, also hermits and snails of various sizes.

So based on the potential for trouble with the dusters, better to skip it? Any other recommendations for a 30 gal?

Thanks again!

go to liveaquaria.com and they have a link for fish appropriate for a nano tank..there are alot of nice ideas, with pictures and fish information.

Strange? I think the six line wrasse is a great fish for reef tanks. If you are keeping clams I would make a stand that this fish is a must since it eats problem bristle worms and other nasty organisms. I have had a six line in my tank for about 1 year and it has done very very well and not bothered any corals, shrimp, etc. I cant really see a six line bothering any of the fancy shrimp since they only get about 3 inches in legnth.

Six-line?? Couldn't think of a more appropriate fish for a nano-reef. Stays small and won't bother corals. Leaves my dusters alone too. Heck, my crabs worry far more about each other than that little six-line. :lol:

Credit Live Aquaria:

Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Tank Conditions: 72-78°F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4; dKH 8-12
Max. Size In Aquarium: Up to 3"
Color Form: Blue, Orange
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Diet: Carnivore
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Fiji, Indo-Pacific
Family: Labridae

The Six Line Wrasse is also referred to as the Sixline Wrasse or Sixstripe Wrasse. It has six, horizontal distinctive blue lines lying against an orange background. When courting, the male will display an increased color intensity.

It requires a 30 gallon or larger aquarium with a generous supply of hiding places and live rock in which to forage for food. It may act aggressively towards peaceful Wrasses and other fish that are easily intimidated.

It will search for live foods in the form of small crustaceans such as pyramidellid snails (clam parasites), urchins, and commensal flatworms. Six Line Wrasse are also known to feed on unwanted pests on live rock, such as bristleworms.

When first introduced into the aquarium, live saltwater feeder shrimp should be used to entice this fish to eat. The diet should consist of finely chopped meaty foods and occasionally vitamin-enriched frozen preparations.

I got mine to take care of flatworms, it did a GREAT job...then it moved on to the small feather dusters.

Ugh--I was just getting ready to get a sixline (been on my list for a long time) and I have several feather dusters. I did not know they liked them :(

Back
Top Bottom