is this a bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarded

Aquarium Advice Freak
i used to have a tank that sat on a corian counter top. occasionally, during maintenance, spills would occur. it wasn't a big deal because the tank and the corian is impervious to water and it could sit for a while then be wiped up.

ok, now i have one of those generic wooden stands that you can find at your LFS. now, when spills occur the water seeps between the tank and the stand so possible water damage over time can occur where the water settles and cannot be wiped dry. so i was wondering if putting a bead of clear silicon between the tank and the stand would be good idea to keep the water out. the bead can always be sliced to remove the tank.

can't really get a good seal with towels and they will leak. of course, that is still a good idea, but i am wondering if running a bead of silicon might be a more permanent and viable solution.

'crabs, i used to live in a wet environment and i once saw a structure collapse due to water rot. that has always stuck in my mind.

matt, a water sealed tank is excellent. unfortunately, mine is not and has, in fact, been painted black.

i guess i just want to determine if it is a bad idea. maybe someone has done this before and had a bad experience.

NO I think it's a good idea as long as you don't mind the silicone bead around your tank and stand. I think what the folks here are trying to convey is that it probably won't be very cosmetic. I think that if you do a good job at sealing the gap it should look OK.

Go for it. I think that if I had seen such a collaps due to water damage I would also be leary.

Mike

i can lay a pretty good bead of silicone caulk so aesthetically, i think it will be okay. looking at the gap between the tank and the stand, a 1/16 bead should do it. with clear silicon it should even be noticeable.

Ya mine is black too... it is actually a cheap walmart stand that really wasn't as bad as expected.... How about some black silicon or sealant of some sort... Honestly the black bead would probably be less noticable than clear.

definitely... black would be better. thanks for the suggestion. my brain was stuck on clear. i wasn't even thinking about looking for black!

Back
Top Bottom