It's Playsand season. Shout out when you find some!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nevermind, I bought some and tried white vinegar, it takes a few second to start fizzling

got bait? said:
Does this mean
Wal-Mart and Home Depot had Kolorscape White Play sand
are a go? I live in so.cal. and we can never get Old Castle.
Kolorscape is one of the products of old castle. It says in fine print that it was manufactured by old castle.

Atlantic Ocean Sand Use

I live in Suffolk County, Long Island, New York. Can I use the Atlantic Ocean sand that is readily available and use it for base sand? Or can I collect Wet Sand from say Waist Deep and use it for LS? Or Any Suggestions on the Use of this Atlantic Ocean Sand.
THANX !!
David D.

Often sand and water found close to shore near metropolitian areas is polluted. There are also issues in many states with the legality of taking anything from the wild without a licence.

If you can get a boat and diving equiptment, and take your sand from a long ways out from shore, you're likely to have better luck with it.

If you insist on using near-shore local sand, wash really well, and run it in a QT container for awhile with a lot of carbon in the filter.

The main thing about base sand is that it be made of calcium carbonate (white, fizzes in vinegar) and that it be clean. If you can find local sand that meets those criteria, then you're all set.

dskidmore said:
If you can find local sand that meets those criteria, then you're all set.

As long as it's legal to collect the sand in your area ;) Be sure to check with local conservation and wild life departments before collecting any wild life or sea sand/rocks.

Kolorscape play sand?

Is this the play sand from kolorscape that you guys talk about? It fizzed up when I threw some in to a cup of Coke, so I think that means it is aragonite right?
I found it at all the Kmart and WalMart stores around SE Ohio and NW WV.

Attachments

• 154_5452_104.jpg
    154_5452_104.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 58
Hmmm, I tried vinegar on that and didn't get much of a fizzle, but it was wet, so that might have been the issue....

Re: Kolorscape play sand?

ckmn101 said:
Is this the play sand from kolorscape that you guys talk about? It fizzed up when I threw some in to a cup of Coke, so I think that means it is aragonite right?
Coke has disolved CO2 in it as well as acid. I think that's only a valid test if it's flat Coke.

Coke has disolved CO2

LOL!! DUH, on my part! I totally forgot about that, it should fizzle anywhere, if it's not flat! LOL!

Good catch....I'm still laughing! (At myself)

Yea, that is distributed by Old Castle. I poured viniger on it and it bubbled. I think it is the right stuff. I had gotten other sand to check and the other sand did nothing.

Ok I tried the vinegar test and nothing, first a couple pinches=nothing, then about a tbsp.=nothing. So as I understand it this means it is not aragonite sand correct?
tia
Mike

So as I understand it this means it is not aragonite sand correct?

Correct, no fizzle/foam, more than likely silica based. I know it's a pain! LOL!!

Re: Kolorscape play sand?

ckmn101 said:

I've been using that sand for 8 months now in my reef tank with no problems. Even if its silica based you can use it.

Back
Top Bottom