kH and Ca Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I use the API Test Kit Series to test my parameters of my reef aquarium. I tested my kH and my Ca. My kh results were 179 and my Ca was 480. Can someone help me decipher these readings and what do I need to know about these test results. I read the pamphlet that came with the kits but they read like stereo instructions. :confused: Thanks in advance.

Kenn Sanchez :fish2:

How many drops did it take to go from blue to yellow for the KH test?
Do you have any Coral?

Ok I think for API kits that's means your Alk is 10 dkh. Recommended for a reef tank is between 8-11 dkh. Ca between 380 and 450. I don't think CA at 480 is a problem. Are you dosing Ca and Alk?

Ok I think for API kits that's means your Alk is 10 dkh. Recommended for a reef tank is between 8-11 dkh. Ca between 380 and 450. I don't think CA at 480 is a problem. Are you dosing Ca and Alk?

Kent Marine Liquid Calcium once in a while when i remember during wc's
Kent Marine Purple Tech when I do not have Liquid Calcium
Kent Essential Elements off and on. I don't schedule these dosages.

That's all

I haven't ever used the purple tech or essential elements. Most people that really know their stuff (I'm not one of them) will tell you not to bother with that stuff. You get enough essential elements just by feeding your tank.
Another thing I'll mention is that API doesn't have the best reputation for accurate test kits. I used to use the Ca and would get readings that were far apart within days of each other. Readings that just were't possible.

I haven't ever used the purple tech or essential elements. Most people that really know their stuff (I'm not one of them) will tell you not to bother with that stuff. You get enough essential elements just by feeding your tank.
Another thing I'll mention is that API doesn't have the best reputation for accurate test kits. I used to use the Ca and would get readings that were far apart within days of each other. Readings that just were't possible.

I honestly haven't had any issues maintaining my tank with API since I started my tank n Feb of 2012.

Stop dosing essential elements, purple up and calcium. Those levels are fine. You should be ok with just water changes but if you need to dose do it in accordance with your tests and just calcium. Purple up is just calcium in a bottle. And I have a general rule that if you don't test for it don't dose it.

I don't think my salt have the required elements that my reef needs. So therefore is the reason why I am using calcium additives.

Then switch to a good reef salt. I use Red Sea coral plus in all my systems because it mixes high in trace elements so I don't have to dose

Back
Top Bottom