Let's talk RO/DI fileter for a moment, please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ASpec

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm tired of lugging water from WalMart/LFS to my house, so it's time to pull the triger on an RO/DI unit.

I've been researching/reading about them for the past month, and really started looking more in depth over the past week. I have a few questions I hope some of you more experienced aquarist can help me with.

In my lookings I am running across many different options. 3 stage, 4 stage, all the way upto 6 stages. I know I want the DI option but what do all these stages mean and do I need something with all 6 stages?

To me it would seem the more stages, the more pure water you get, but at the cost of replacing more filters/membranes more often. So manufactures state you should replace the filters every 6 months, other state 12 months.

So whats the deal with stages and filter replacement? Will a 4 stage make my water "clean" enough for my tank or do I really need to consider more stages.

And let's talk brand names for a moment as well. What makes say the Kent worth $250 compared to say the Coralife for $150 or the eBay deals for $100? As I understand it, it's all about the filters/membranes used and all seem to run just about the same type. And I've also heard the same manufacture produces the untils for Kent, Seachem, Coralife, etc. Any truth to this?

Sorry for the long post... just want to get a better idea of what people here think before I make this purchase.

Thanks in advance!

I just bought one of the 6-stage deals from e-Bay (filterdirect was the seller). I'm expecting it here in a day or so. I'll let you know how it works once I hook it up.

I made my decision based on the premise that more stages makes cleaner water. Also, I liked the fact that you could refill some of the stages rather than having to outright replace them.

I read some positive feedback from others here which helped seal the deal.

I have the 6-stage from filterdirect off ebay. You won't be dissappointed. Water measures well and beats my tap or even fridge filtered water for a drink.

Filterdirect recommends 12months for the filters and 2-3 years for the DI.

It's been in 5 weeks and no problems yet.

I've saved at least $100 worth of store water since I've had it.

--Logan

I might buy one too, but I get my water filtered from the ocean an just need RO watter to top my tank off (1/2 Gallon a day).
Would it make sense to buy one for me or will it not work because of the low usage.

I had the filterdirect one from ebay and I am pretty happy with it. As to when do you need to change out the filters, it depends on the usage. You definitely need a TDS meter together with the RO/DI system. Use your TDS meter to determine when you need to change the filter

I have the Kent Marine Maxima four stage RO/DI an am happy with it. It is rated at 50 gal/day, but filters far more then that. Make sure you check out some of the sponsors above as well. It is a great investment and sure beats lugging H2O from the LFS. It is nice to have water when you want it and need it.

I have an Aquasafe Canada 100 gpd unit. It is a 6 stage but the final stage is post DI filter so it is not really needed for a fish tank. I have had no issues with the unit and I also bought a TDS meter, replacement filters and a booster pump at the same time.

Does one need a pressure gauge with these units, or will just the TDS meter tell you when it's nearing time for replacement?

I see some units come with the pressure gauge and was wondering if it was an advantage to have one.

I'm on county water, not a well, so I know my pressure it good in my house.

Thanks for all the response so far!

ellisz said:
I have an Aquasafe Canada 100 gpd unit. It is a 6 stage but the final stage is post DI filter so it is not really needed for a fish tank.
I bought the same unit, works great!

Cheers
Steve

ASpec said:
Does one need a pressure gauge with these units, or will just the TDS meter tell you when it's nearing time for replacement!
The better your water pressure the lower the TDS as a rule (higher rejection rate). I'd only suggest something like a pressure guage if you suspect poor water pressure. If you turn on a tap and you only get a bit of a run and no real force, a booster might be needed. Once you get a unit hooked up it'll show a higher TDS than it would if you had good pressure. It also depends on your tap waters TDS and if you opted for the DI stage.

Just be sure you let the unit run without connecting the tubing to the RO stage for a good 15 min to flush the sediment filters. If you get the storage tank, you'll also need to empty it once or twice before you get a solid TDS reading. My unit reads 0-1 TDS.

Cheers
Steve

Just finished installing my filterdirect 6 stage filter. Installation was *fairly* easy however I have yet to complete a plumbing project without, oh say, 5 or 10 leaks :( ! This was no exception! :oops: . Don't let that discourage anyone, though, cause I'm sure it's just me.

Now that it's up and running, I am pretty happy with it. Let me just say that 100gal per day doesn't exactly flow from the spigot! More like a slow trickle. I guess that's right because I'm getting about 4 gallons an hour. It just surprised me at how slow it dispensed.

I need to order a TDS meter next to check quality. Anyone know how long you can safely store saltwater? Not sure If I should mix it and hold it or just hold RO/DI and mix the day or so before I plan a water change.

Thanks!

I let mine run into a rubbermaid tub. I keep it for a long time. It eventually gets used up as top-offs. You should always keep enough on hand soyou can do an emergency water change if needed. You do not really need to worry about shelf-life. I am sure you will use it up as needed. A TDS meter is a good investment. It will let you know how your filter is doing and when it is time to change them.

I just installed the famous ebay filterdirect 6 stage RO/DI this weekend!

I was tickled with it! No problems what so ever installing the system. I have it running into a 30 gallon commericial rubbermaid trash can. I got the automatic stop float valve...when it is full...it stops!

I also got the $25 TDS meter from filterdirect. My house well water was 150ppm....I tested my RO/DI water 2 hours after I started it up...and it was down to 4ppm. I used all that water....and the next day I tested it again...and guess what.... ZERO ppm (like none). I thought the TDS meter was not working...but it worked...as my well water was still 150ppm! I could not be more happy!

110 Gallon/day sounds like a lot...but it is just a trickle. I filled my 30 gallon trash can overnight though. You just can't watch it or it will take for ever.

I will be useing my RO/DI for my Freshwater 90gallon (50:50 Mix with Tap water), and 100% for my SW tank. I also have plenty of RO/DI to share with friends!

Best $90 I have spent so far (...well $90 + $25 shipping + $15 float turn off + $15 additional DI packet + $25 TDS meter + $10 Saddle Valve with tubing from Lowes + $25 commerical trash Can + $15 for 2x7 gallon jugs for carrying and mixing SW)...so it came to $220 for just the RO/DI setup...don't tell my wife!

WC

Best $90 I have spent so far (...well $90 + $25 shipping + $15 float turn off + $15 additional DI packet + $25 TDS meter + $10 Saddle Valve with tubing from Lowes + $25 commerical trash Can + $15 for 2x7 gallon jugs for carrying and mixing SW)...so it came to $220 for just the RO/DI setup...don't tell my wife!

LOL! WhiteCloud! I see my setup jumping up to about the same amount. Fortunately my wife is as addicted as I am so spending is *generally* sanctioned!

Back
Top Bottom