Light on or off during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am cycling my tank with 20lbs of base rock, 13lbs of Live rock, and 2x damsels. its a 25gallon. I am wondering if I should be using my light during my tank cycle? its a 4bulb t5ho with moonlighting, I can run 2bulbs instead of all 4 if needed. Will it help my algae grow over my base rock quicker so that it looks more like live rock? I have read to leave it off to avoid algae blooms.

I think leaving lights on would darken the rocks more but I'm not to sure if lighting is the factor that does that.

I think living lights on would darken the rocks more but I'm not to sure if lighting is the factor that does that.

I would think that with 96watts of light in a 25 gallon tank the Coraline algae would spread to the base rock wouldn't it? especially if I used some form of purple up during my cycle?

I wouldnt be in a rush to start adding stuff to your tank so early on. The coralline will spread naturally, it will take a few months maybe, but as long as you have some in the tank already it will go to other rocks, promsie. lol'

Running your lights during a cycle will most likely get you nuisance algae more than anything else, purple up or no purple up.

I wouldnt be in a rush to start adding stuff to your tank so early on. The coralline will spread naturally, it will take a few months maybe, but as long as you have some in the tank already it will go to other rocks, promsie. lol'

Running your lights during a cycle will most likely get you nuisance algae more than anything else, purple up or no purple up.

well I guess thats what im wondering I hate seeing my tank dark all the time and would love some light in it but dont want to create a bad algae problem.

Yeah, probably best to just leave them off for now. If it really bothers you run them for a few hours just so you can look at the tank. :) I know how it is, I have an empty 55g but still run the lights part of the day so I can see it. LOL

do FW tanks need light right above them? would it help at all? I have a 40 gallon breeder in my basement with a 4bulb t12 fixture that hang about 4 feet above the tank and about 2 feet to the right of the tank so its not over the tank at all. is this adequate light for my fish or should I keep my 24-36" Double bright LED

Back
Top Bottom