Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm going to get a tall 110G soon (48 x 18 x 30). 30" height is pretty tough to get a proper light setup for I think. Im planning to go with 4 54W T5's (2 white's, 2 actinic's). Is this enough? I'm trying to use as little electricity as possible since I'm still living my parents' roof lol. If that's not enough, how much do you guys think is the bare minium for softies, shrooms and most LPS?

TIA

Well, I have 4 54w T5 fixtures (8bulbs total) on my 90g and it is barely enough. Your tank will be 6" taller. If you are going with the coralife fixtures I equate them to about a 130w pc so you will really only have about 2.6 wpg. I would go with at least 3 if not four fixtures. Of course this is assuming you are upgrading the 75g and moving its contents.

On a related note you sure are upgrading quick. A long way from that 20g you started with just a few months ago. What are you doing with the 75g?

On a related note you sure are upgrading quick. A long way from that 20g you started with just a few months ago. What are you doing with the 75g?
LOL! I was wondering the same.
Congrats on the soon-to-have new tank!

Long time no talk afilter! :D

I have a canopy and am planning to build a lighting setup myself. Here's my plan

1 Ballast for 4 t5 bulbs
4 54W T5 bulbs = 216W T5
4 reflectors

I might add another bulb of T5 if you guys think 4 is not enough. Im just trying to have as little wattage as possible since im still under my parents' roof... lol

I didn't understand "I have 4 54w T5 fixtures (8bulbs total)". Each of your 54W fixture has 2 27W bulbs?

I just realized how quickly I'm upgrading lol. The 110G upgrade is just a lucky accident. I wanted to replace my scratched up 75G (bought used) with a new RR 75G but a good deal on a new RR 110G came up locally so I just grabbed it :D Im going to sell the 75G away to someone that wants to use it as a sump/fuge since it's too scratched up... XD

Thank you guys!

FishFrik said:
I didn't understand "I have 4 54w T5 fixtures (8bulbs total)". Each of your 54W fixture has 2 27W bulbs?

You are right, I did not catch that each bulb was 54w. I was thinking 2 fictures 54w total.

With a 110g I would look at 1-2 more bulbs.

So if the 110g is RR what are you using for a sump. That 75g is looking good. :wink:

When do you get it?

I'm getting the 110G this Saturday. The only problem is neither one of us has a truck or a spacious vehicle to transport the tank :/ Im still trying to figure out how am I going to get the tank home. Do you have any suggestion on how to do this? The dimensions are 48x18x30.

My stand doesn't have enough space for a 75G sump XD The openings are pretty small (homemade stand) so I can't fit big sump down there. I don't even know if i can put a 29G sump in lol. Any tip on what tank size is best for sump/fuge?

There's a good deal on a 4 54W T5 fixtures locally so i think i'll get that and see if it's enough. Adding another bulb later on wouldn't be so hard.

TIA

Well, 30g was the biggest sump I could fit under my 90g which is bassically same dimesions just shorter. I had to install it at time of setup though as the cross brace had to be temporarily removed and then reattached, so if yoare doing a DIY sump be prepared.

If I ever move though I am going to try and avoid putting the sump under the tank again. With my current setup accessibility is an issue. Also the sump is difficult to clean because it is right on the floor.

Ideally, I will have the sump in the next room on a short stand. We are looking at a new home where I may be able to frame the tank into the wall with the backside being in a former laundry room with a floor drain (Ideal).

I suggest using six T-5's for that tank. There will be ample light then.
2) Aquablue plus
2) Pure Actinic
2) Actinic plus

afishyanados, Im not really familiar with T5 bulbs. from what you suggested, I will not be using any 10,000k? I don't think using actinic alone will be good for corals.

The Aquablues are unbelievably white. They are rated at 14k if I am not mistaken.
I have been runing very heavy actinics for years with URI VHO's; three Super Actinic and one Actinic White is a typical ratio.
I have lately been told the actinic does not actually "count" when adding up wattage. Not being an expert in any sense, this intruiged me. Could you please shed some light on the subject? I know that I know not.

Back
Top Bottom