Lion, butterfly, eel, puffer, and tang?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alouba

Aquarium Advice Newbie
could i put
1 common lion fish
1 racoon butterfly
1 convict tang
1 snowflake eel
1 saddle valentini puffer

in a 75 gallon?

what's my best bet for food?

and is there any cleaning crew that could survive

I think a 75 would be too small. Lion fish get big (unless you get a dwarf) and are very messy eaters along w/ the puffer and eel. You might be able to do A dwarf lion, snowflake eel and the tang and MAYBE a smaller butterfly

Common lion is this a Volitan we are talking about? If it is this lion will quickly out grow a 75g. Volitans grow 8-10 inches in the first year and will get 15 inches in about 18 months.
Puffers, Eels & lions just dont seem to mix, the valentini puffer stay smaller so the lion will be able to eat the puffer or the puffer can pick at the lions fins and eventually kill it.

ya volitan
couldn't remeber the name

hmm
well if i got a dwarf puffer could i keep the others?

Valentini Puffer only gets about 4 inches, it's the lion that would concern me. Even a dwarf Fuzzy lion reaches about 7 inches and that could still be a problem with the puffer. You would have to keep a close eye on the EEl, Puffer & Dwarf Lion.
I am not sure about the Butterfly & Tang wait until others chime in on those for a 75g.

Kaye

i have a volitan lion wich was housed with a valentini puffer and a yellow tang and snowflake eel they were in a 65g and it was way too small i maved the eel,lion,tang and puffer into a 130g and the change in behavior was increadable
the puffer (wich is never bothered by the lion) did not much care but the lion and eel swim laps around the tank and seem much happier

I'd stay away from the combiantion of a lion and puffer. Believe me I tried, and lost my lion to an aggressive valentini puffer.

as others have said, the tank is too small for that load of fish mentioned. As far as the other question on clean up crew....you would be hard pressed to find anything that would live except for possibly serpent starfish. All shelled things such as snails, clams, crabs would be toast by the eel and puffer...any shrimp would be eaten by the lion.

Not to be a Devils Advocate..... but I have successfully house a eel, a puffer, and a lionfish together for almost a year and a half, until my lion died last week (with no relation to her tank mates). I think that if you have good filtration, a good skimmer, and are good about tank maintenance you would have no problem. Of course this has just been my experience, and like people, different fish will respond to this situation differently.

my dwarf lionfish used to sleep with my snowflake eel in the same cave in the rock, sadly lion died of hunger strike, but i never noticed any aggression between them.

Back
Top Bottom